DT400 vin #s to years

ardo123
This post is 4144 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, new member here. I just recently bought a DT400 missing most of it's body work and electrics since it was ran strictly off road. It was advertised as a 75 which would be a 400B. The VIN on the frame is 450-x which according to http://auction.netbikes.com.au/vjmw.php?page=yamaha_id is classified as a "DT250 Japan." The engine VIN is 501-x which says "DT400 Japan." Am I safe saying that it is a 75 when I buy parts? Also would all the cables and wiring and such for a 75 (if that is the correct year) DT400 fit on that frame? Is the bike even worth restoring to a roadworthy/sellable state since the frame and engine VINs dont match?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have the Frame as being a 74 DT250 made for the Japanese market as you say, and the engine Is from 75 DT400J model bike. If restoring to go back on the road, it will be classed as a 74 bike as its the frame vin which governs this not the engine.

Was this not the same as that fellow who thought he had something special a while back....

Wonder if the japs raided the parts bin for the convicts

Yeh :yeah: most parts will fit frame,,,Electrics " the DT250 B has points, and DT400"s [ all] have CDI. So make shure its a 400 loom,

Prices ? check ebay, i know DT"s are cheap in the States, unless its low milage clear title, unmolested ,,

• 2 weeks later...