Lithium Ion Batteries vs. Others

j0hn
This post is 4306 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I've managed to kill my Yuasa YTX7L-BS 12V 6A battery after 5 months and optimiate is struggling to keep it alive. I've been on the hunt for a new battery and came across Lithium Ion Batteries and also the MotoBatt AGM type costing £72.50 and £40.50 respectively.

After reading more about the Lithium Ion batteries, I get the notion that it isn't a drop in replacement for lead-acid batteries as their charging is controlled by some sort of microprocessor which could fool your bike into thinking the battery is full, preventing it from being charged at all. I'm not sure how much of that is fact and if the Sky Rich Li batteries actually work fine without issues. I also take that a normal Optimate charger wouldn't work on the Li type and might have to go for the Optimate Lithium?

Have any of you riders upgraded to a Lithium Ion battery and if so, is it worth it? With price aside, would it be best to stick to my current lead-acid battery by Yuasa, get a MotoBatt AGM or go for a Lithium Ion battery?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aye jonO" , only experience av had is with De-walt ion battery"s , and there crap, didnt last a year, took them back , and had mega hassle for replacement, [ new £150 per battery] , replacement died 6 months later, i" just bought the conventional ,battery"s ,and there fine,,

So it was the battery that was knackered and not the bulbs?

I bought the exact same battery as you have ordered but I have never used it. I thought my battery was knackered but it turned out to be the regulator. It's a shame you've ordered one, I could of sold you my brand new one a lot cheaper.

Damn :( I think my regulator is working fine because the battery meter on the display shows full when riding and then goes down to less than half when stopped. Also my Optimate is showing red whenever I plug it in.

I'm running LiPO4 battery (ballistic from the USA) in my tracker and can use a standrd charger with these.

the only caveat was that they die if more than 14.4 volts are applied, so I had to get a new reg/rec as the old one knocked out 15volts.

seems fine so far

• 2 weeks later...

Lithium-Ion = expensive, problems with fitting and possible charging issues. Is better how?

Go with the AGM, proven, reliable cost effective.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online