DT400 - the big-bang build

stroker crazy
This post is 4231 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

item.JPG?

I've long wanted to have a DT400 and when I was offered the remains of a failed project I took the plunge.

This is what I received:

item.JPG?

Somewhere to start from, but the frame and suspension are too rough to be useful and too many components are missing. There is also a problem with the VIN.

Undeterred, I kept looking and eventually found this:

item.JPG?

item.JPG?

Rough but running - the motor sounds real good. Matching frame and motor numbers, some dodgy plastics, but a very good place to start from.

I will update this thread as progress is made.

Crazy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

flaky start there crazy, but it looks like your on the right track now and you have spares :D

total strip down resto is it?

Good stuff crazy" is that red MX a 400 ? thats the euro MX250 colours, and i cany see the Decompssor cable , ?

drewpy - a total stripdown it is, with a few minor mods on the rebuild. I'm looking good on motor spares, plus I have another barrel that's in really good condition.

Airhead - I laid the parts out on a piece of cardboard on the floor and took the photograph by standing on a bench above the layout. A bit of Photoshop to correct perspective was all it took.

blackhat250 - the tank is probably not the original; it is in perfect condition inside with only a very minor patch of surface rust on the exterior and no dents. Not many MX tanks from the '70s would be as good.

While it doesn't show in the photos the decompressor cable is definitely there. I also have a spare NOS cable. I wouldn't like to run the bike without a decompressor!

item.JPG?

Crazy

Looks like a beauty. :thumb:

drewpy - K.R. might not agree with you on that. His comments on their unrideability would be enough to scare me off.

Crazy

but he did ride it again last year and didn't hang around

Are you thinking of Kenny's demonstration at the 2009 Indy Mile?

I had to laugh when he said:

"...... they never paid me enough then (1975) to ride it, now they don't pay me nothing, so that's really working my way backwards......."

Crazy

Are you thinking of Kenny's demonstration at the 2009 Indy Mile?

I had to laugh when he said:

"...... they never paid me enough then (1975) to ride it, now they don't pay me nothing, so that's really working my way backwards......."

Crazy

was 09? wow time flies

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online