Chain Care

Grouch
This post is 4315 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just had a good quality chain and sprocket set fitted which wasn't cheap. The last one I had fitted in April was totally knackered, even though it was the cheapest shittest set available I could have prolonged it's life by taking better care of it. :banghead:

I use my bike everyday to do about 8 miles, how often should I clean and lube it?

I want this set to last until March when she gets sold.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

9 Months on a chain? Ouch

I generally lube my chain every 300mile and lube and clean it every other time. More-so this time of year due to the dirt and grit.

9 Months on a chain? Ouch

I generally lube my chain every 300mile and lube and clean it every other time. More-so this time of year due to the dirt and grit.

Eh?

I have just replaced it after 8 months and I want it to last another 4 months.

Lube it weekly after a ride when hot,and clean it when it's dirty.Just dont jet wash this pushes water into the links,use mineral spirts and a brush. I do this and have 22000kms on my bandits chain and it's still good only half way worn or so.The wr gets cleaned and lubed after every ride but thats different it's dirty in seconds.

Lube it weekly after a ride when hot,and clean it when it's dirty.Just dont jet wash this pushes water into the links,use mineral spirts and a brush. I do this and have 22000kms on my bandits chain and it's still good only half way worn or so.The wr gets cleaned and lubed after every ride but thats different it's dirty in seconds.

I have been jetwashing it! Maybe that is one of the reasons why the last one went so quick.

I bought one of these "Chain Cleaning Brushes" (http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B002TZWEF8/ ), pretty handy imo.

You went one teeth up (15T) on your sprocket right? How is it performing?

After speaking to the guy at the garage he advised against it as XT's are only 10hp it would hardly make a difference and it would lose a

lot of speed when cruising. So I didn't bother.

I bought one of these "Chain Cleaning Brushes" (http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B002TZWEF8/ ), pretty handy imo.

You went one teeth up (15T) on your sprocket right? How is it performing?

Just found this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-CYCLE-DIRT-BIKES-BRAKE-GEAR-CHAIN-CLEANER-AND-CHAIN-BRUSH-/330793671498?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4d04d6db4a

Ha, looks a deal, though I find that paying a bit more for something that's geniune works out better in the long run compared to its knock-off counterpart :P Even though in most cases you're just paying for the "make", it puts my mind at ease.

8 months doesn't seem long at all for a chain and sprocket set... At the very least get a paint brush and 'paint' oil on it once a week.... You can get chain cleaner for about £6 - £7, might be worth using to help get the salt off. Avoid jet washing the chain as it'll not be doing it any favours.

Definitely mate, it's always worth paying a bit extra for quality. What do you use as a cleaning agent?

I use Muc-Off Chain Cleaner and Silkolene Chain Lube. I wonder if the Castrol Chain Lube is better.

Wipe off the worst of the crud and oil it with proper chain oil weekly.

Once a month more if the weather is really shocking like the other year. whip the chain off and clean it proper in a big tin then soak it with new chain lube and let it soak.

My commute is 7 miles each way on shitty country roads with similar horsepower and my chain is 3 years old.

I have some good quality chain lube. I was only lubing once every few weeks if that! Also I sprayed it with the jet wash. I am a bit pissed off it didn't last as long as it should though.

It must be the garage what fit it, I had loads of trouble with them ripping me off (big time) so it must be down to them. Did they even replace it? They could of just cleaned the original and tightened it up.

I tend to lube the chain after every ride but every ride is usually 150 miles each way. It gets lubed after i wash it too or been ridden in the wet, also make sure the chain is always adjusted properly otherwise it will wear out quicker still.

I dont use brushes, i just spray the chain cleaner on, leave for 5mins then just use a nice old rag to get the crap off. I then generously coat the chain with wax after, youre better off lubing the chain after a ride when the chain is warm as itl take in more lube than when its cold which again will make it last longer. :icon_wink:

Yeah i prefer chain wax as it doesnt fling like chain lube. I used to use old engine oil on my dt but it gets messy and goes everywhere, you also have to apply it more often.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online