2009 YBR 125 Chain Removal Help and Advice

Richard_ps3
This post is 4334 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone I did search the forum for help with this but came up with no topics so here go's.

After taking my bike for a new rear tyre the mechanic sugested that i needed to replace my chain and sprokets as there was several tight spots in the chain which made it hard for him to set the free play correctly. And he also comented that the cush drive rubbers were quite perished and should be changed.

I have done nearly 14000 miles since march 2011 on the bike so seems resonable to replace them right?

So I have Just ordered a new DID chain and sproket kit and cush drive rubbers set from wemoto.com for my YBR here is the link to the parts i have ordered.

http://www.wemoto.co...t_sprocket_kit/

What i really need to know from anyone with more knoledge and experience of bikes is how is best to break the chain on my bike (it is still on the factory fitted chain) and will i need a chain breaker / riveter to do this and to fully fit the new one I have ordered?

I have good mechanical skills but am very new to working on bikes my girlfriends dad has a full comercial garage and workshop for working on cars so i have access to any tools i could need with the exception of a chain breaker.

Any advice on what i might need and recomended branded tools if i am going to have to buy one it might as well be decent qaulity. And also anything i should pay particularl attention to when doing this job would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rich

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Breaking the chain? Easy, just use an angle grinder or dremel to cut it, you're not going to be using it again so you can afford to be brutal. Don't cut the chain off before slackening off all the sprocket nuts (front and rear) - you can use the back brake to hold the sprockets still while heaving on a socket.

Putting it all back together depends if it's an endless chain or one with a spring link. Spring links are simple, just hook the ends together and pop the split link over the posts (closed end towards the direction of travel!). Endless chains need the soft rivets squashed over - you can use a chain rivetting tool or careful use of a couple of flat-faced hammers, one either side of the rivet, will do the trick.

Me? I ride shafties now, so you can keep your messy chains ......

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online