XVS 650 dragstar progressive springs problem

coreygun
This post is 4337 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, ive just purchased a pair of progressive springs (because my old ones were very soft and dipped suddenly under any hard braking or release of the throttle in low gears) which have arrived, but are only about 20mm wide compared to the 35mm wide stock springs in my fork. as you can see in this diagram, http://www.boats.net/images/diagrams/yamaha/MCY/2005/XVS650T-F_TC-F/IMAGES/FRONT_FORK.png, the standard springs (14), washer (15), and spacer (16) fit the stanchions nicely, allowing no room for 'wobble'.

the problem i have with the new progressive springs is 1) the hole in the washer is wider than the springs, so it just slides over the top, along with the spacer tube. 2) with a washer with a smaller hole in it (which ive tried), the washer just tilts and falls down the gap along the side of the spring, because its too narrow.

after much pondering i put the spacer in first, then the washer (so it cant fall down), and then the springs, so it all works now, but with another problem: theres a screech when the forks compress. ive put the right amount of oil in, so i think the problem is the spring bending sideways as it compresses and screeches down the inside of the stanchion. and to top it all off, they arent really much better than my original springs.

So whats the problem here? are these the wrong springs (as theyre too narrow), or should i also use some other special washer with a smaller hole, and also perhaps thicker to stop it tilting? and then whats to stop the spring from bending still under compression?

please help!...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'd say yeah, wrong size springs.

Where did you buy these?

They are obviously not right so I would send them back, if the ebay shop still exists, if you paid by paypal get them involved as soon as you can if they wont have them back or the shop is no longer.

I got a pair of what were described as "Leather" panniers from an ebay shop, when they arrived they were made from vinyl and plastic, not a piece of leather in sight, tried to return them but the seller had disappeared, even though they were an ebay shop.

I rarely use ebay but each time I have its been trouble of one kind or another in what I receive not being as described, I wont touch it now at all.

Gotta be proper careful with eBay...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online