battery help asap

jjprit
This post is 4344 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My battery died on me today. forgot to turn off my lights on my 1987 yamaha virago xv1100.

right now it has a everstart motorcycle battery ES50-n18l-2 (50-n18l-2) (50-n18l-3)

I bought a schumacher 2a-4a-6a charger 72w.

Is this right?

1) was told to trickle(slow) charge it and use the 2amp setting.

2)to fill the batter with distilled water since its almost at the Low Level mark.

3)also while charging to leave the caps open so no gases build up inside

my question is i have 7 opening on this battery. 6 chambers across but the 7th one is right under the 4th one. i included a picture so u can see

do i add distilled water to all . is the 4th one and the 7th one share the same chamber.

i dont want to fill the 4th chamber then add water to the 7th one right under it and go past UPPER LEVEL mark ad add to much water

This is the battery http://puu.sh/1iKnA

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Usually each plate in a battery will have its own chamber so yes you will need to top up each of the six separately, I have no idea what that other cap is for unless its some form of breather.

You need to use the lowest amp setting you can on a motorcycle battery, my charges puts out 1amp, but I guess on your bigger battery you will be OK with the 2amp setting.

Things to consider, how old is the battery? batteries do not like being completely drained and if its an older battery you may find it wont take a charge well and keep giving you trouble, it may be best to get a new battery.

Er. I have never bothered with bike battery chargers. Just used the car one on the rare occations i had too.

When the only starting option is the button and nomally having to deconstuct the bike to get at it i would replace it if a quick blast didn't bring it back to health. Dont matter on the dt. Not so much on the tdr either. It dont do much.

I dont get the cap bussiness though. Batteries give off gas when you use em too. So it should make no difference. It is hydrogen gas though....

As you say the battery gives of gas in use so as far as I am aware the caps should be vented anyway because of that.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online