is it legal to have no rear mudguard

dan28
This post is 4276 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

im planning on chopping my frame the reg plate will mount under the seat in front of the back wheel

there would be no rear mudguard is this legal i was told the bike had to have mudguard to pass the mot but i m more concerned if it will atract the plods attention

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dan not sure where you live but best to check about the plate location and what lighting is required.As far as the fender just leave something that could be called a fender BOBER style.

Here in CANADA and in the USA we get away with alot of mods that are streeeeeeeeeching the laws,but with so many custom bikes and so little cops who know sweet FA about a MTO as well we only have to mto a bike when regerstering to your name ,,after that were free to go nuts and do all kinds of crazy things.

If yamhead were to drive his bike here at night he would get a fine for no light on his plate about 120.00 can.And no rear fender required if it's not raining.

Hi Dan, in the UK you must have a rear mud guard to get it through the MOT, with regards to the feds............its down to the police man / woman choice but its best to have one on there (or some thing like a fender) for the following reasons:

1) looks nicer

2) stops stones chipping away at your head

3) stops some of the water spraying up your back (mine don't and after riding on a wet road my back is covered in shit)

Just wack on a nice small low fender and chop to your taste.

this has got me thinking . . .

the moto guzzi i am doing as a project, im going to be restoring up to origonal, with newer tech where safer e.g. hoses ect,

but i was planning making it so i can tranform it into a cafe just by changing the bars, seat mudguads exhuast ect.

most cafe racers dont have a rear mudguard as such, like sitting over the weel, so would it not be up to the person to argue that there is some kind of mudguard in place ?

i think its also a matter of dirty number plates..

your going to get stoped if your number plate is partually coverd with crap. and a mud gard helps stop that.

so Mot needs it. and if you take it off after the mot and manage to splash dirt on the number plate and the fuzz see you you will get stoped. dunno if they would tell you to clean it and be on your way. or they would want to be dicks and say its not worthy for the road due to the mud gard.

some of them wouildnt want the paper work. others would like the credit.

Do you not think that if they were not a legal requirement that motorcycle manuf trying to save every gram would put that great plastic thing on that back that we all cut down....

this has got me thinking . . .

the moto guzzi i am doing as a project, im going to be restoring up to origonal, with newer tech where safer e.g. hoses ect,

but i was planning making it so i can tranform it into a cafe just by changing the bars, seat mudguads exhuast ect.

most cafe racers dont have a rear mudguard as such, like sitting over the weel, so would it not be up to the person to argue that there is some kind of mudguard in place ?

i reckon if the wheel is under the frame /seat you would get away with not having a mudguard but if the rear wheel is is left exposed like i plan to do perhaps not so much

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online