Dragula the resurrection. 1994 Virago XV1100

delmsie
This post is 4246 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I swear I am doomed. This is my 4th attempt at getting something up here and I have internet,forum and possibly mental melt downs. I have been pretty slack as far as work to the bike goes. The weather has been great and the bike fun to ride. But the forks have leaked all of the oil rendering the bike pretty unsafe to ride. Forcing the issue of getting on with the job. I have decided to not paint the bike but to use plastic wrap. So it will be interesting to see if that was a good or bad idea. So a few photos and a random solar eclipse shot taken from my driveway.

p1010130rg.th.jpgFinally registered and on thew road.
p1010107yd.th.jpgAs far as I had to pull it down to get the roadworthy work done.
p1010064zd.th.jpgBefore paint and tire.
p1010128t.th.jpgSolar Eclipse taken from my driveway. Now I understand what all the fuss about a total eclipse is all about. It was pretty awesome.
p1010119ct.th.jpgPaint and tire.
I finally got it to work.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks for the feedback Airhead. I have switched to Photobucket for a try see how the photos go now.

I just had a quick fit of the new bars and they are too low and the controls hit the tank. The other bit I wasn't happy with was the cables are all very cramped and bordering on getting kinked. I did spot a set of T bars with a 4 inch riser at an Australian eBay site so they are looking like plan B. Looking at the photos I just took I realise now just how much some of the parts need a good clean up.

P1010110_zpsaea124f5.jpgThe bike wheels off for tires and paint.

P1010136_zps75e95377.jpgDarn the tank is in the road. How rubbish do those controls look? They don't look as bad in the flesh.

P1010115_zps6b22ba92.jpgThe chunk I had to cut out of the exhaust to remove the axel.

P1010113_zpse3307f28.jpgA fresh new look.

I also managed to improve a few dents on the tank with a "Pops a Dent" tool. Hot tip turn the handle with a rag as when it pops off to can take a chunk out of your finger. It worked reasonably well and got about 80% of the small dent gone.

Okay Photobucket you rock. Those photos are a big improvement.

P1010134_zps3e308820.jpg

The attempt at flat bars.

• 1 month later...

Right, I had gotten complacent and overwhelmed with this project. So it has sat idle for months while I blamed an illness for not getting on with things. In an effort to solve this problem I have now relocated the bike to my verandah. It now sits right outside my kitchen window and forces me to do some work on it. Strangely it seems to be working. I am now slowly pulling the forks down. Now I just have to work out how to disconnect the air line in the forks and remove the forks. I had to buy a Hex socket set to remove/loosed the fork caps. I am glad the decent one were on special. As thing things were so tight some rubbish ones would have destroyed the part I was working on.

Handle bar problem solve with Z bars. A lot more expensive than the flat bar but a noticeable increase in quality and the size is exact not approximate like the cheaper ones.

Now to see if I can keep the job progressing.

Good choice in bars mate, i love the Z bars.

Keep plodding on and soon your be back riding again

Some progress.

4577437A-D83E-4135-AA52-494C7A07B07A-558

The view from my kitchen. It forces me to tinker.

EED4BACA-0DE4-4E46-9DBB-B441DD4C8D3E-558

I'd hate to think this air line was some award winning design feature. It was a nightmare to deal with. But there is probably worse to come in this project yet.

90A62AA3-8827-4598-97E4-6B5E8D1C4E73-558

Finally got the forks out. It was a slow job for amateur me. I think the fork oil was the original it was manky and black.

I can't believe the amount of wiring stuffed inside the headlight. I reckon I'll have to pull the triple tree off and check the bearings as everything else is rubbish it might be wise to check them out. I have decided to black the front end out. Most of the chrome is shot so a major clean and antirust treatment and a paint looks the way to go.

Gauges have to go too.