Help! Can't get my 83 Maxim 400 to start

cmcdonald33
This post is 4355 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I bought this bike used 3 years ago. It alway ran a little rough, but enjoyed riding it. I blew out my leg and couldn't ride this season :( I prepped it last October for winter, but haven't had it running this year. I tried to get it running, but no luck. Pulled the carbs, cleaned them til they sparkled, replaced the plugs and air filter but still won't start. Sounds like it really wants to, but no go. There is definitely gas getting into the carbs as I primed it after replacing the carb and then when it wouldn't start, released the drain in the float bowl and gas came out. I am at a loss as to what else to try. Any suggestions? Thanks! cm :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You have swapped out the old gas. Modern stuff only lasts a couple of months these days.

Yes, I have spark. Had spark with the old plugs but put in new ones anyway. No, didn't swap out gas. I'm assuming that i just disconnect hose and set to prime? will that empty the reserve as well? I'll try that tonight. Thanks guys! i'm getting frustrated. :eusa_think:

Dont know if it will empty it fully but whatever it drops to filled with fresh gas will make it flammable enough to run ok.

You will need to drain the rubbish from the carbs.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online