Front brake issues

webtmc
This post is 4357 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, I was out riding my '82 XS400J today (has been on road now for 4 days after sitting for 10 years) and out of nowhere i feel like im losing power. Mind you im following the president of my club, so this is not a good thing. We come to a red light, and my front caliper is smoking, bad. It seems the entire caliper siezed, the piston and the slides. went to take it apart to lube it up, and cant even get the bracket assembly off. looking for advise on how to get it off so i can clean and lube it.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if it's not too late? ie you havn't rounded the bolts, use a six sided socket and not one of them crappy multie grip types.

a bit of plus gas wouldnt go a miss either, but be carfull with it.

If you don't have torches or a heat gun to heat up the bolts go buy a MAP gas torch for 20 bucks from one of the big box hardwear stores.They look just like propane torch but the tank is yellow and MAP gas is hotter.If you have a propane torch it would work too

Warm up the bracket around the bolts and then they will come out.Put a wet rag around the rubber bits.

But if the bike has sat for ten years the brake master is probably full of crap and need to be flushed/cleaned to alow the fluid to travel back and alow the piston to return to rest position.

Also take a few min and post a hello in the new members section it's only polite to say hi first before asking "HOW TO"

Well with heat, and a press at work, I got it. Sliders were insanely siezed, looked like someone poured epoxy in it. piston was ok. I had already cleaned master and lines of the dust the fluid turned into over the 10 years. thanks for help, and sorry for the non introductions.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online