dire YB100 electrical problems...

atocp
This post is 4367 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First off, hello all.

If you're reading this you probably have an interest in motorcycles, electrical problems, YB100's or horses. Or all. Or electrical horses. Or motorcycling horses. This is an extension to something that was talked about in a recent post, in which I was talking about electrical wiring of the 1989 YB100. On that post, I was asking about colours, and since then, I have wired up all the bike according to the electrical wiring diagram. Apart from one random thin yellow wire coming out of the left 'dash' stalk, that isn't accounted for in the schematic.

This is more of a general electrics problem I am having. When I put a battery into the bike, some things work, some dont. The things that work are tail light, horn, oil light and neutral light. The things that don't are pilot light, headlight, brake light, indicators, full beam light and indicator 'indicating' lights. Now, I understand some of these things will not come on until the engine comes on, headlight (brake light? indicators? not sure what others) but I also know that some should, i.e. pilot light. I have tried to get it going but with no success. I have a new battery, fully charged and a new bulb...fully....clean....but nada.

Here goes. I checked the current, and the current to the pilot light before switching on the lights, and it was at 20mA. Then upon switching it on, dropped to 0 with no light. On the headlight, it was around 50mA, dropping to 0 with no light. I think I'm looking at no current getting to the light.

Switches work, as there is a change in current when used. Wires are ok, as they were circuit tested. Bulbs are all new, as is the battery. Wiring diagram was followed like sheep follow a shepherd. But I'm not sure what this is indicitive of?

Can anyone shed some light on this? (pun totally intended, as they always are) This seems like a simple thing, like bad ground, but I've gone over ALL connections and wiring, inside and out (fibre optic inspection camera and then removing wiring loom). Can anyone maybe suggest a possible component failure that might be responsible? New contacts, new rectifier, new flasher, new ignition coil, new bulbs, new battery, NOT a new resistor, new fuse.

I've been annoyed with this for a while. I thought I had other problems, which I have now fixed. But if the electrics don't work, and the lights don't come on, whats the point, eh!?

Many thanks for any help or suggestions you can come up with, even if they are just guesses. If you have read this far, then here you go:

Patient: Doctor, doctor. I've come out in spots like cherries on a cake.

Doctor: Ah, you must have analogy.

Cheers,

atocp

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sent the email. Hope you got it ok.

I've managed to figure out the yellow wire issue. They have missed out the High Beam bulb in the diagram!!!! Thats what the yellow wire goes into! So it must join onto the double yellow connector coming out of the HEADLIGHT 6v25/25w in order to take some current when the headlight is switched on!!

Doesn't help my other issue though, as I connected up the yellow wire into the double connector and it still doesn't do anything like I'd hoped. I'm going out now to test the bulbs to make sure there is a circuit in them (the small 3w ones) but even if they were popped, the other bulbs are new.

Thanks for the help,

atocp

The headlight yellow wire comes of the back of the headlight and into the double connector, which originates in the dimmer panel. The double connector only shows 1 wire connected to it on the diagram, the other is empty. I traced it back to the high beam 3w bulb, so it MUST go into the other side, but they've neglected to draw it.

On the upside (and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for kinda o fwasting your time) as well as tracing the yellow wire, somehow the indicators have started working. At slow and not quite steady speed, but I imagine thats just because its running off the battery only. The problem is still this bloomin pilot light. Just wont come on at all. Already checked the bulb, and its good. But im going to go out and play with the ammeter now.

Again thank you for your help, and sorry that I'm the one that is acting simples. I'm not really normally, but for some reason my logic, for which im normally noted for, seems to disappear when I get excited about working on my bike. I'm easily amused. Oh look, a butterfly........

cheers,

atocp

run? hahaha, oh how i dream of such a day. blue skies, the shining glow of the midday sun bathing down in its warmth and comforting splendour.

no. it doesnt run.

havent tried it since i replaced the gasket that tore when i tried it last time. you have given me hope though, that there's not an 'issue' per say, but rather issues that will resolve themselves when the engine is running. I'm now out in my garage, and I'm going to put things back together so i can try and start it tomorrow after work.

Thanks again for your assistance. You really must be getting sick of me by now!?!

cheers,

atocp

............you're very challenging.

hahahaha, brutal honesty. I appreciate that. :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online