RXS 100 rebuild.

shambles1980
This post is 4254 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

seems as though all my parts have now arrived.

So i will be starting work on this asap.

just going to start with a strip down/rebuild. and put the new head on and hope that cures any issues it has.

Decided to go with an inline fule filter after the tap. "and a new tap" Figured id like to see the fuel

im also looking to see if i can find a big bore kit for it, but i dont seem to be able to find one.

the closest i can find is for a yb 100 or dx 100 "both look the same to me" but not the same as an rsx 100.

I had also planned on changing the sprocket size on the engine. was hoping to kill off some accel and add a bit to the top end. but if i cant find a bigger piston and barrel i think thats a bad idea.

im also wondering if there is any sort of fairing for this,

something like the old supredream had would be good i think given the round hedlight.

Any way.

Project should start in the next week or so. im decorating the new house at the same time. and my wife managed to take down a big lump of plaster striping wall paper yesterday. so im having to fill that in too.

i will try and add pics.

"of the bike rebuild.. not the house redecoration lol"

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 2 weeks later...

so far havent done much "i put on the new head re using the old gasket to test if that helped pressure and it did." and thats about all i have done.

but i have found my self the missing right hand side panel for my rxs.. (you can see in my avatar it missing) new one is blue but wth thinking of re spraying the whole thing black or British racing green any way.

I just bought a box of bits..

bunchofbits.jpg

"probably all un needed" but it does have the yamaha logo that goes under the headlight in the box "im also missing one of those"

i also see atleast a partial carb. and a few other bits that could be usefull.

So all i need now are standard wing mirrors and a nice new seat cover and it would be almost complete original spec.

But i have also got a tzr top n bottom faring that i am negotiating on now.

"just need to discuss price with the guy"

the faring isnt in best condition few cracks and splits. and the kit to repair the thing would be about £30. also again it would need a respray after.

so i guess i am restoring it's asthetics to original spec "new paint job though" AND pimping it out at the same time. lol,

the house still has main priority. so that sucks but i have put the carpet down in the main bedroom now. and i put the underlay down in the living room. "also installed a new fire place. finished the kitchen. and painted most of the house"

So with any luck it wont be long before i can crack on with this project..

it will probably be ready to work on just about the same as when its so cold you cant hold nuts/screws with your fingers. but i will persevere.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all ive been doin alot of reading and revising and ive just brought a rxs 100 1990 fuly working order but no key not a problem as im also making a project of it. Firstly im looking to add a power valve i believe a ypvs 31k will fit so if anyone knows otherswise or agree help is required this is my first project im a can do man with little experience tho but some. Other bits to do are sports airfilter and a race can. I have a question aimed at shambles1980 do u know as of yet if your tzr fairings will fit on if not do u know the chances of a yamaha rd 350 ypvs fairings fitting. Helps appreciated thanks :)

• 2 months later...

been tinkering a bit..
the silencer there is better condition than mine so i threw that on there.. but the baffel is stuck in it.. No idea how im getting that sucker out.
The old one.. castel nut is stuck. tried to preswade it with wd40.. mull grips. heat.. a spanner between the sticking up bits.. and a hammer..
ended up with one mangled castel nut stuck to the silencer.. Which dosent bother me really silencer was perished and has pinholes..
but i really need to get the baffel out of the one in the picture so i can use the baffel from my old exhaust in it..

the bar that you usually grab to pull it out is gone, and i have no idea how its stuck in there now., i removed the little bolt but it just wont come out (i think its deformed or something)

any ideas would be welcome. I tried putting a nail in the hole for the bolt and using that as a lever with my trusty hammer.. thatd didnt do squat though. (just bent the nail)
thought to my self the baffel of my old silencer would just pop out if i forgot to pput the nut in..
so tore round the garden with the bolt out..
it didnt move a bit..

So i guess i may end up sourcing a silencer for it. but not overly impressed by them.
Its either grind the castel nut off the old one and hope the thread dosent get knackerd. patch that piece of junk up. and use that.
or find away to get the baffel out of the new one.

i have the new barrel and head ready to go. also got a top end bearing just to be sure. Since i put on the pod filter i can hear a distinct rattle. and i think thats probably the top end bearing, although could just be a naturall rxs top end noise.

The bike is still being ioncredibly rediculous.
it will go about like its bearly getting any fule then all of a sudden REEEEEEEEEEEEERrrrrrr and im at the bottom of the garden.
spin it around and nothing. bearly power to get me moving and i have to clutch in fast a few times just to get it to not stall and then start moving again. (get the rpm up)

had it up to 8k rpm in 1st wont go above 6k in neutrall. Seems to be about right but its just being totaly rediculous. im hoping the new barrel pston and rings will finaly put an end to that though.

Its alomost to a point where i can feel my fingers for long enough to do some serious work. but its still a bit to cold now..

Any way.. if you have any idea how i could get the baffel out id be glad to hear it.
if the symptoms sound like a CDI/coil iossue to you let me know and il just swap that out..

and hopefully i can get the real work underway pretty soon..

oh, and i bought a short rear indecator, which is chrome by mistake. the ones already on mine are long and black. But i prefer the short chrome one i bought, any one know which year they came from?