Brake reservoir level changes when accelerating & stopping

DkD
This post is 4276 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Some technical assistance please. Noticed the reservoir level dropped slightly over night and during my ride to work the level averaged on the minimum (half way mark) but when accelerating it went to maximum. When applying either front or rear brake the level dropped and was just noticeable.

Of course coasted to work and called the stealer who can't inspect the bike till tomorrow. Given it's a major safety issue, won't be riding it given the brakes are the most important part.

However, can anyone help with that it could be - just in case the dealer tries to fleece me with a major braking/hydraulic system overall.

(The bike is a YBR125 custom 2012 - still under warranty but you never know what they might come up with as an excuse not to pay - if it is indeed serious!).

Thanks all..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Are you aware that he fluid will move back and forth in the resivoir while accelerating and braking. It why there is a minimum level checked when the bike is static. To be sure air cannot enter the system.

The overnight drop could be thermal related too as it was bloody cold first thing. 4 degrees i think.

Thanks Cynic, knew there where minor level changes when moving etc but this seems to erratic. It goes from full level to nearly empty on braking.

Although good point about overnight temp - didn't think about that. Will go out in a bit and check the level again (it stayed on minimum when I left it).

Generally noticing the level drop is an indication of pad wear as more fluid is needed to fill the piston to push it onto the disk. The whole ppint of the resivoir really.

That is the most likely. Whats your mileage. If your front heavy with your braking you could have some worn front pads.

Just done a little over 2,100miles.. Generally I'm braking 70-30 front /back on normal dry conditions. Most of my ride is in traffic so a fair bit of stop - starting.

Brake pads seem fine though....

IMG_0888.jpg

Looks like you just need a top up then. Maybe it was a little low from the off. Not low but not full either if you get my drift.

I've had another look and I just can't make out the photo

If the central object with the holes in it is the disc, then it appears to have a chamfer worn on it on the left hand side, and I can see what appears to be a reflection of the right side pad in the face of the disc, I wouldn't have expected to see that. What appear to be the 2 pads look as if they are in different locations on each side of the disc

some yam pads come chamfered to match the calipers. have a look at some pictures of new pads and see the difference

Cynic you where correct! The level dropped due to the wear on the pads (abt 30-40% wear).. so top up is what I will do (although dealer said it's not needed).

As for the brakes positions, they are all ok - think it must have been the angle of the photo..

Appreciate all the feedback - been very helpful.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online