XJ 600 Fiddling

Semi-C
This post is 4374 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

I have taken possession of a 1991 XJ600, on the road, plenty good enough for everyday service. Kinda....

On our return journey to my house I found that it has a tendency to list to the left which becomes a veer to the left if hands are removed from bars. Also, there is a fluttering felt through the bars, possibly Headstock (although this feels fine) possibly shock linkage bush (with which there is some play).

Left hand fork leg has evidence of fluid leak so a seal set is to be installed and I hope with forks removed, refurbished and re-installed, straight ahead service will be resumed.

I aspire to a more modern (17" front and back end, proper sized wheels & tyres) and was wondering if anyone on here has any hints, tips and cheats on which donor bike's front end would bolt on with the least trouble and which donor bike's back end could also be coerced into fitting my frame with the least grief?

I had considered YZF750 as a source of either or both but am yet to get a measuring stick out and confirm it's suitability.

Here's hoping that some other soul has had similar ideas and has already made progress with some of the R & D.

Yours Cross Fingeredly,

Col.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First stop for me would be a 900 divvy. Or a thundercat. Thunderace R6 R1 etc would overtyre the bike.

Anything USD will be complicated and will ruin your turning circle. Looks the part mind.

You will want to buget for a clever bloke in a shed to correct the springs for you though.

First stop for me would be a 900 divvy. Or a thundercat. Thunderace R6 R1 etc would overtyre the bike.

Anything USD will be complicated and will ruin your turning circle. Looks the part mind.

You will want to buget for a clever bloke in a shed to correct the springs for you though.

Thanks Cynic

Had contemplated 900 Div but had shyed away due to spring rates. Thundercat had slipped my memory though, could be a good direction :thumb:

Would you know how tough it would be to get a set of thundercat forks/yokes on an xj 600 headstock? It would be new ground for me fitting non standard bits, have dismantled and re-assembled but never substituted.

As for swingarm transplants, also exciting (read: Terrifying) new territory.

A surprising amont of times its just a case of swapping the stems over in the bottom yolk.

If anything its the rear that is the more difficult.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online