How to repair/check the speedometer setup on a DT175?

oldbikerehab
This post is 3911 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After removing the functioning speedometer and cable from my DT175E for painting, I reinstalled it with a new cable and it worked for a few short miles around town before going dead. It seemed to skip, dropping to 0mph, then popping back up to speed, and did this for another mile or so.

I pulled the whole front wheel, cable, and speedometer and cleaned all thoroughly with solvent, re-greased, and reinstalled. Everything seemed to spin fine in the wheel assembly. I took a drive with the cable disconnected from the speedo but connected to the wheel and could see that the inner cable wasn't spinning. Next, I connected the cable to the speedo unit and connected the wheel end to my drill. Spinning in either direction wouldn't make the needle jump. I tried driving around with the old cable as well and still didn't get any response.

Any ideas on how I can figure out just where the system is failing? Are there particular alignments I need to be aware of? The only area I haven't checked is the actual odometer, speedometer mechanism inside the housing because I can't figure out how to get at it without breaking the housing.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Inside the front brake plate you will see the speedo drive gear has two 'arms' on it, they stick out from the centre in opposite directions 180 degrees. These arms are often bent backwards because the people who assemble the brake plate dont see that the two arms must be aligned with the slots in the wheel hub when the brake plate is re fitted, check it out...bend them back...and re-assemble carefully if any of this applies ;)

While you have the brake plate off make sure the helical cable drive gear is turning as you rotate said structure with 'arms'

• 7 months later...

What if the speedo gauge itself has been pampered with. Mine looks like it was glued badly together and the plate inside is bent and looks like a dog`s breakfast. Is it possible to get into these gauges to tidy them up?

• 2 weeks later...

My dt clocks come apart very easily, just a bit of lock wire or r clips holds them together???

• 2 months later...

Also got speedo doing nothing. Was hoping I could swop a working gauge from second bike and all would be ok..but no. Ive noted Airheads comment on the arms on the speedo drive..mine just spinning freely not doing anything on the worm gear below. Not sure how things work here..took an hour and lots of WD40 just to get speedo cable out. Everything seems jammed solid. WIll let it all soak overnight and blast it with jetwash in the morning. Will appreciate any advice.

si9q.jpg
ga4h.jpg

Lousy pic.

qoi0.jpg

You don`t have a pic on how its supposed to look?

Ok cleaned up the two gears and they now run freely. Greased and assembled everything but still no joy. The clutch clip with the two ears on it is not locking onto the drive gear (i see there are 2 flat spots that should lock it)..I would think that is what is causing my problem.

no3w.jpg

Clip is a loose thing (dont know why it cant be part of gear assembly). This getting quite irritating now. The cable spins when pushing the bike around..also when everything apart things spin freely..but when i connect to speedo.. nothing..tried another speedo cable still no joy. Would think the extra pressure having to drive the gauge is causing that clutch/washer clip to slip. Everytime its wheel off and greasy hands...oh the joy of old bikes. Looked on Yambits..they dont seem to stock a clutch clip/washer like this.

yeah just had a look in the parts book, the bit with the arms on they call a clutch, I assume it has some flats inside the hole through the middle which locate on flats on the gear, and the two parts are held together by a circlip ?

with this in mind surely you can see what the problem is here!

dont forget the arms of the clutch must go between the raised out sections of the wheel hub so that it can be driven by the wheel's rotation...so offer the brake plate up to the hub correctly

Strange..took the bike for a spin today and now speedo works. Might be short lived..have ordered a new clutch washer from the dealership (only ZAR20). Maybe I wont need it.

Think clutch needs doing though..definitely some slippage.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online