Yamaha Fazer 600 problem--- HELP

Gaza-23
This post is 4233 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi i have a 2001 Yamaha fazer 600 which i have only just bought, the problem i am getting is that when i am driving and open the throttle quickly... i get a jerking through the bike as if something is making it hold back. i have replaced the coil packs anlong with the spark plugs so i know it cant be a misfire, it is as if it is coming from the front sprocket area. when i put the bike on the centrestand, and put it into 1st.... the chain seems to jump about and make a horrible noise like a banging. there is also a clicking noise when i spin the rear wheel. i am really stuck for ideas. Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Gaza, I would think that you either need a new chain or to lube the old one, various products that will lube your chain on the market just type in "CHAIN LUBE" and make your choice. It might be that the sprockets are hooked and then you will need to change the front & rear sprockets but this is usually easy to spot. Might I also suggest that you do an "INTRO" before you go any further as it's nice to say Hi before you start asking questions (new memberes section) its nice to know a bit about you before some will talk to you, to many one hit wonders who we never see again after they get their question answered. Also DO NOT lube your chain by running the bike in gear and then spraying it from the back, this will remove your finger tips and might even take you forearm off, you have been warned!! :jossun:

Hi thanks for your reply, And ok I will keep that in mind about the intro. I have checked the front sprocket today and it is in good serviceable condition, the chain is new and also lubed and the rear sprocket is good too. when i removed the front sprocket cover, put the bike into 1st gear on the stand... i noticed the noise was actually coming from behind the sprocket, i don't know if the shaft that the sprocket sits on is damaged but it seems to be ok as there is no movement in it and no signs of leaks. The wheel is aligned fine and also spins true. i have a bad feeling that it could be the gearbox on its way out after only 24000 miles. Thanks again.

sounds like you need your carbs looked at, does the bike struggle at 3000 rpm as if it has a miss or is it more at 6/7k rpm?

also sounds like your chain isn't aligned correctly, make sure to measure from the swingarm pivot to the centre of the rear spindle..hth

Try rolling the wheel slowly and watch each link might be just 1 or 2 tight links in the chain causing the clicking.And put in 2nd and see if the noise goes away.

Hi Gaza, If the noise is coming from behind the front sprocket then you could be right that it is a gearbox problem, that does not mean that it's a major fault mind you as all gearboxes make some noise and I would suggets that you have a listen to someone elses bike BEFORE you tear it down, there are so many things it could be in there that you really need to get a local mechanic who knows his stuff to have a gander at it first. As above BOTH suggestions have merit and you should take those on board to sort out the carb and chain but if as you say the noise is really from the box then the only way to sort it is to identify what is wrong before you get out the hammer and chisel! Where abouts are you as if someone is near they might be willing to come and have a look :shakeno: for you and give you their ideas as to what it might be :crazy: . Just a suggestion mind. Wish you luck with whatever you decide to do. :jossun:

P.S try the bike WITHOUT the chain and see if that cures the noise problem.

Hi i have a 2001 Yamaha fazer 600 which i have only just bought, the problem i am getting is that when i am driving and open the throttle quickly... i get a jerking through the bike as if something is making it hold back. i have replaced the coil packs anlong with the spark plugs so i know it cant be a misfire, it is as if it is coming from the front sprocket area. when i put the bike on the centrestand, and put it into 1st.... the chain seems to jump about and make a horrible noise like a banging. there is also a clicking noise when i spin the rear wheel. i am really stuck for ideas. Thanks.

What are you saying here?

Under power?

Engine off and turning by hand?

Just what?

Hi thanks for all of the replies, i have had the bike looked at and have been told that the output shaft is warped due to heat, i have traded the bike in with the shop as this was too much money to make it worth repairing, and have now got a Yamaha YZF600 R Thundercat. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online