Installing throttle valve / throttle cable - 1978 DT175E

DT175 1978
This post is 4385 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi. I'm brand new here, I just registered to ask a few questions (and because I'm a proud Yamaha owner)

I am working on fixing up a DT175E - just like the one I had 20 years ago. I have a lot to learn about working on bikes.

I am worried because yesterday, I was installing a new carberator that I ordered off of ebay - long story short, I had a hard time wrestling the cable onto the throttle valve, and I dropped the throttle valve and needle on the garage floor. Maybe twice. In my inexperience and frustration, feeling a little "over my head", I decided to put it all together and see how it went. I did wipe off the part that was facing down, I didn't see any dirt on what I was assembling, but I also didn't really check carefully for any marks on the throttle valve (the round barrel part) - I decided to just see how it went.

So, I guess it went fine. My problem isn't solved (I'll post that in another thread) but the bike runs almost exactly the same, but I'm worried that I screwed up installing the throttle valve kind of willy-nilly. When I dropped it, should I have cleaned it in carberator cleaner? Should I have been wearing rubber gloves and been a lot more "surgical" about the whole procedure?

At the time, I was kind of thinking that this wasn't really the important inner workings of the carberator so it didn;t matter that much. What do you think? Am I okay? No harm no foul, or did I do a bad bad thing by dropping the throttle valve and needle and just wiping it off and slapping it back together anyway?

Tell me I'm okay so I can sleep tonight... or tell me what I should do to remedy my mistake. Should I just relax?

Sorry it's such a long post. Any help is appreciated.

-Matt B,

(DT175 1978)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online