dt history

mark 88
This post is 4385 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all i wonder if anyone can tell me if the dt 175 and the dtr 125 share the same bottom end or at least the same bottom end components? the reason for this is i am thinking of putting an athena 170cc kit onto my dtr 125. cynic tells me that this will put the 125 specification bottom end under too much strain in the long run and i think he is right. so in summery is the dtr125 simply a dt 170 with a smaller 125 top end? thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

DT175 and DTR125 are completely different, the DTR is a much more up-to-date specification with its water cooling and crankcase induction. It's quite a good performer in its own right fitting an 170 athena will improve that performance further but would you will have extra insurance costs due to the performance enhancement? and I assume you arent on 'L' plates?

Adding hp is going to add stress on the crank without a doubt' but if they have been selling these kit's for a while you should be safe.If motors were blowing up left and right they would stop making them. I'm sure the ppl in the R&D department at athina did a bunch of testing before putting the kit to market. They don't want to give themself a bad name.

The forged piston in the kit would be about the same weight as the stock cast so the reciprocating weight will be about the same load on the crank.

Not sure how much info about carburation adjustments comes with the kit but for sure your going to need to do lots, as well the transfer ports in the case will need some mod's to get the full benfits of slaping a 170 barrel on.So while you have the motor appart to port the the transfer ports either put in a new crank or have yours rebuilt. I would be leary about putting the 170 on a old crank.

The physical horsepower will stress it. Cardboard dave has one on his tdr125 and something has failed in the box on that. Although riding with me and john well into 30mpg territory explains why.

Its not really the hp that may kill them. Ridden properly as a dt with more torque which is really the idea then it will last forever. Using it to go as fast as possible will kill it stone dead.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online