Is it possible to straighten up a cast RD 125 DX front rim?

Mastiff
This post is 4302 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Some moron damaged my son's bike when it was standing outside of the school, probably by backing a trailer on it. The bike didn't fall over (it's rather steady because the main stand and the both wheels have full contact at all times because the rear wheel is a bit larger than standard), but they bent the rim and probably the steering crown as well. Bloody annoying, I'd say! Especially since the insurance has a £300 part that you have to pay yourself even if it's somebody else's fault if you can't find them. If the school only had the surveilance cameras on the parking lot that you brits have everywhere! ;) Still since we'll get paid for new parts and labour and I do the work on it myself, we won't loose any money. The only problem is the front rim. No source for that on eBay or any other places that are available to me here in Norway. Is it possible to straighten it up? The bend isn't large, but you can see it because of the senter stripe in the front wheel pattern when you drive it and feel it from the vibrations.

If not, do you have any better sources for rims, somebody who will be willing to send to Sweden (our next door neighbour is a member of the EU, so that will remove the custom fees). Thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would take the tyre off the rim and look for evidence that there is wheel damage and not just tyre misalignment/damage before trying to source repairs or replacement wheels...especially under the circumstances that you find yourself in...ie hard to find in Sweden!

Yeah, and even worse in Norway. The bike has never been sold here, so I think we have the only one on plates here!

I'll get a guy from the insurance company later this week (I hope), so I will know more by then. But I can see where the car/trailer has hit it, theres a deep scuff mark that wasn't there before. It looks too deep to only have moved the tyre on the rim, but we can hope. Bloody annoying, he's had a couple of problems like that with his bike. But nothing really expensive, only the "dad, when are thos parts coming" type.

you can get them straightened, but then they need to be crack tested ie X-rayed which will cost ££.

might be better to scour ebay europe and pay shipping costs

you can get them straightened, but then they need to be crack tested ie X-rayed which will cost ££.

might be better to scour ebay europe and pay shipping costs

X-ray seems a bit extreme. At work we use an NDT method called MPI(magnetic particle inspection) to find cracks in anything ferrous(hubs, blocks, spindles, etc) and a dye penetrant called magnaflux spotcheck for all non ferrous cracks. The spotcheck would work just fine for your wheel though(the MPI is expensive) and be cheaper than an x-ray I would think.

Drewpy, yeah, I'm using those user agents for a lot of stuff.

CorradosandYahas, I think every thing like that is too extreme. I will go to a tyre shop nearby to be sure that it's bent. Then I'll try to find a wheel. I already have a possible wheel in Sweden, turned out that there was one on a classified ads site. Only problem is that it's on the wrong side of the country, but I'll try to get him to pack it and ship it. Then I need to find out what other parts that are damaged. I'm afraid it will be the whole front end. Or maybe only the steering crowns, and not the fork legs themselves are damaged.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online