FZ600 engine options?

TechSmurf
This post is 6927 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Recently acquired an '87 FZ600 from a friend after the engine went on him and he upgraded rather than rebuild it. I'd like to get the bike running again, but I've got a feeling the internal damage may make repair of the existing engine prohibative (no solid evidence yet, haven't started diagnostics). In preparation for the worst, though, I'm trying to find out what options I have for replacement of the existing engine... particularly if anything other than the 86-88 FZ engine will bolt in, or can be made to bolt in without excessive hassle (Radian? XJ? FZR with some work?).

Also looking for any sites or other forums that would help support an FZ600.

Any info/help is appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 3 weeks later...

Southeast Arizona...

Got the engine torn down and discovered the #3 piston and intake valve are now a 1-piece assembly, so the worst case scenario has been realized... any ideas are still more than welcome ;)

Well, so far the FZ600, YX600, XJ600 seem to have the only suitable chain-drive engines available... the XJ750 and XJ900 use the same basic air-cooled engine, but unfortunately are shaft drive... still trying to find other bikes that use this engine, but it's not looking promising.

Not that it's much difference......but there's also the FJ600 (more common in the US ;) ), but as said previously.......you'll have to use the 30mm carbs from the FZ, 'cause the 32mm carbs on an FJ won't fit between the frame rails on the FZ ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online