Wheel Balance

paulrever
This post is 4283 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

I plan to get tyres for my YBR, probably going for Michelin Pilot Sporty.

I considered fitting them myself and seen Youtube vidz etc.

Also watched vidz on wheel balancing and here's the Q.

Why not balance the wheel on it's own axle, in the forks and with the calipers removed?

I'm just wondering how it differs from taking the wheel off to put on a contraption.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not a bad idea but you will only find out if you have it right when you ride it and then it's wheel wobble and a tank slapper if it's wrong, go for the "contraption" for a few quid it could save your life!! :jossun:

I am not telling you what to do thats your choice,but when I was racing a gsxr 750 135mph+ I always ballanced my rim's buy putting the axel in the rim and clamp it to a bench spin it 5 x and if the wheel stops in a different spot everytime good to go, and never had a problem.

Doing it on the bike might pose a problem as the front wont stay straight and should be ballanced on a 90 deg. plane to avoid any gyro effect.Also the seal issue mentioned by air.

Just a second note when in school we had a teck from Michlen come in and do a 2 hr class on tires and the one thing that I remember most was that every tire should be reballance after the first 1000 kms as the carcus shifts after being heated and cooled. And after doing it on my own vehicles I can tell you all that it's the truth .I have seen as much as 2 oz difference 180 deg from the original position.

Thank you Gentlemen,

I'll pay the quid's and get a proper job done then.

I only run short journeys on it with the occassional long one to blow the crap outta the engine.

But safety has to come first, I'm riding in a built up area and wouldn't like to hurt anyone.

Very grateful for your help, Paul.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online