1987 fz600 engine swap to xj600 unit

Maffs83
This post is 4388 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there I've recently fitted a xj600 lump into my fz600, I've sourced various looms and a cdi to convert things over but have a problem with no spark on number 1 and 4 coil 2 and 3 coil is fine, any ideas would be grateful cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Got battery voltage to both coils on the red and white wire from the cdi but no obvious pulse on the orange wire to 1 and 4 coil. Checked wiring all ok kill switch works as normal, tried 2 cdi's still the Same result. Noticed the pick up coil in the generator casing has some damage to the body but don't see why it would only cause one bank of coils to stop firing

Your in luck I did this swap back in 1988 to my86 fz 600 the cdi untis are interchangable the fz has the better curve and I used it so I know it works. but then I changed the pickups back to the old.

Use your old pickup's and rotor not positive in this but i think they mount in a slightly different position for the curve, again that's what I did.

If your old motor worked then using the old pickup cdi and coils as a set, absoutly no reason why it won't again as these parts are what control spark and timming

The fj motor has a taller 6th gear ratio so it will run at lower rpms in 6th now=better gas milage---- less pull to pass though

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online