sintered brake pads

Grouch
This post is 4313 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just bought some new brake pads. They are 'sintered', what's the difference and what does sintered mean? They were more expensive than the others so I assumed they would be better.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As I suggest you might want to try dirrefent pad I guess I should answer this. They will come up to full op temp very quick,dry themself and the disc very fast if wet. and they last very well. before installing them champher the edges if not done allready.

To set (bed) them in make lots of light stops for the first 50 or so miles ..so you don't glaze the contact surface ,,,then hammer them on (as safely as you feel comfortable with try a park lot where you can & not have to worry about traffic) and feel the difference. You will be able to lift the rear wheel quite easy, if your putting them on the front, and if on the back you will notice that a lighter brake is all that is needed to realy feel the stoping power.

Sintered is just the heat process that the pads under go to make them. Google sintered for a full explaniation

Sintered means that the actual friction material contains small metal particles usually copper that give a better brake and also last longer. If you look at the friction material you can usually see the bits of copper in them. The only downside is that it can cause the disc to wear quicker.

Tony

They were more expensive than the others so I assumed they would be better.

True in this instance, but do NOT apply this reasoning to the purchase of every motorcycle-related product. You will quickly end up broke with nothing to show for it but a pile of broken and failed kit.

Case in point - Half of Hein Gericke's top-of-the-range waterproofed, armoured kevlar clothing. £400 odd quid for a jacket that suffered multiple split-seams within the first half-hour. But it was expensive, so it must be good, right?

Cheers Tony, Ttask master I won't be applying this logic to all motorcycle related purchases.

I'm actually replacing the disc and then learned that I had to buy new pads as well. I went to unscrew a bolt in the disc and it rounded (typical) it looks like they are the original bolts and it is the original disc, my bike is a 2006 model. I really can not be arsed messing about with rounded bolts, I am out of my depth so I am geting a professional to do it.

Just drill the head of the bolt off,once you have the disc off there will be enough to grab and they usualy just turn out as the pressuer is off the threads.

Cheers DT, I already have my bike booked in on the 25th to get a speedo fitted so I'm just going to get them to do it. It won't cost too much in labour. I just can't be arsed at the moment, I know once I start it, something else will go wrong. I'm stressed out enough at the minute.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online