XVS400 2001 Dragstar struggles to reach 100km/h

ShaolinDragstar
This post is 4358 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I purchased a xvs400 2001 model Dragstar 6months ago & love the bike. I went for a 400 instead of a 250 as I am just over 100kilos & wanted to make sure that the bike could handle the highway. Problem but - the bike seems very comfortable sitting at 80km/h but seems to struggle to reach & stay at 100km/h. A friend of mine who only weighs 80kilo & rides a 650 ninja took th Dragstar for a run & also found that it seems to want to sit on 80 rather then 100km/h. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my first bike after a 20 odd year break.....

Thankyou

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

purchased a xvs400 2001 model Dragstar 6months ago & love the bike. I went for a 400 instead of a 250 as I am just over 100kilos & wanted to make sure that the bike could handle the highway. Problem but - the bike seems very comfortable sitting at 80km/h but seems to struggle to reach & stay at 100km/h. A friend of mine who only weighs 80kilo & rides a 650 ninja took th Dragstar for a run & also found that it seems to want to sit on 80 rather then 100km/h. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my first bike after a 20 odd year break.....

Thankyou

Posting in the new members area would really improve your options.

A lot of people will not reply to people who haven't introduced themselves first.

(edit. Have put it all in one place to save confusion)

Hi SD, Have you checked the air filter and maybe the jet sizes? plus the fuel lines might be kinked, Air filter might be blocked & the jets might be undersized. Also look at your exhaust and see if it an original or an after market one, all of these can have an effect on how your bike runs. Hope some of that helps otherwise stick it in your local DYNO shop and get them to tell you if it is running properly according to the original specs. :jossun:

I purchased a xvs400 2001 model Dragstar 6months ago & love the bike. I went for a 400 instead of a 250 as I am just over 100kilos & wanted to make sure that the bike could handle the highway. Problem but - the bike seems very comfortable sitting at 80km/h but seems to struggle to reach & stay at 100km/h. A friend of mine who only weighs 80kilo & rides a 650 ninja took th Dragstar for a run & also found that it seems to want to sit on 80 rather then 100km/h. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my first bike after a 20 odd year break.....

Thankyou

Has this just happened, or has it been a long standing problem?

It has been that way since I got the bike 6months ago - I didn't take her on the freeway until I got used to her (needed to practice after long 20yr break) so I have only recently noticed the problem but when I asked my mate who rode her home from the shop for me he said he did notice the problem on the ride home...... just didn't think to mention it until I brought it up ;-)

It has been that way since I got the bike 6months ago - I didn't take her on the freeway until I got used to her (needed to practice after long 20yr break) so I have only recently noticed the problem but when I asked my mate who rode her home from the shop for me he said he did notice the problem on the ride home...... just didn't think to mention it until I brought it up ;-)

Possible causes:

Check the chain is not too tight

Is the bike firing properly

Air/fuel mixture not correct

Low compression

When was it last serviced ie air filter/plugs etc

• 4 weeks later...

hi everyone just joined. just like to add my tuppence worth. I have a Dragstar 400 classic.and it will get up to 85 mph possibly more ... just dont see the point. Your bike should be capable of 120- 140km per hr hope this helps.but probably not..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online