Fuel Tap

Sir Puma
This post is 4294 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So in my intro I described lots of fuel in the engine oil. I was wondering if there is an "off" position to the fuel tap. If it drained a lot (several pints) of fuel into the engine oil then I'm guessing that there is more fuel than what's in the carbs draining. If there's no "off" position then I may have to replace the valve if I can't find a complete rebuild kit.

Thanks for your help.

Marcus

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

>I was wondering if there is an "off" position to the fuel tap.

Yes, there should indeed be an 'off' position on your tap. Otherwise your fuel would all piss out when you take the tank off!

Actually, most User Manuals state that you should turn the tap to 'off' whenever you switch the bike off and park up anyway, mainly to prevent fuel evaporation.

Hope that helps,

Tasky.

If its like my diversion the as long as it's no on the PRI or prime setting then no fuel should come out cause it's vacuum controlled. So put it on the ON or RES and all should be good. Hope this helps.

So in my intro I described lots of fuel in the engine oil. I was wondering if there is an "off" position to the fuel tap. If it drained a lot (several pints) of fuel into the engine oil then I'm guessing that there is more fuel than what's in the carbs draining. If there's no "off" position then I may have to replace the valve if I can't find a complete rebuild kit.

Thanks for your help.

Marcus

If there's that much fuel in your engine oil then you have a big problem.

There must be a gasket or piston rings gone.

Does the bike start ?

Yes there was a LOT of fuel in the oil, but the bike had sat for a few years before I got it. It has a vaccuum controlled fuel valve and if it's been leaking fuel while in the On position then I need to either rebuild or replace the valve. Since the little handle for the valve is broken and hard to turn with just my fingers I'm leaning toward replacing the whole thing. I just wasn't sure if there was an actual Off position.

It sounds like the fuel tap on my bike. I pulled my Yamaha out of a garage where it had sat for seven years I couldn't turn the handle at all after taking it apart I found it was rotten and all the seal plus the vacuum diaphragm were knackered. Fuel shouldn't leak when the tap is in the on position. Sounds to me that something has broken internally and it's stuck in the prime setting. You can buy overhaul kits for them. Hope this helps.

HI Puma, I have the XJ750 and the fuel tap (petcock) is only operated by a vaccum pipe off of the number 3 carb, unless it's been changed over the years, try a replacement valve kit from ebay should cost about $20 and will save you havinfg to fork out on a replacement tap, the bit that goes wrong with it is the diaphram at the engine side of the tap, easy to replace and then you just leave it in the "ON" position forever as the only time fuel will flow is when you turn over the engine. One other thing you SHOULD check as it has stood for a while is the vaccum tube and fuel tube are not perished, they are a bugger to replace but well worth doing.Hope that helps? :jossun:

The lines are in good shape. I'd like to keep to OEM parts as much as possible. It would be sweet if I could find an OEM lock and chain. In a couple weeks I'll have some extra money and I can get the valve and new tires.

Carbs already got a thorough cleaning. I may look at getting new floats too, but I want to get the other stuff done as they are more important for the moment. The floats are doing their job and don't have any damage, wear or holes (so far as I could tell.)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online