Newbie is this worth restoring?

seanmo117
This post is 4268 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello and thank you for any help on answering this post. I have found this on the side of the road and was wondering if this Yamaha is worth restoring. The motor in it is seized but still would be really fun to ride if i got it working? here are a few pictures.

070e278c.jpg

4a10f451.jpg

240e8ac7.jpg

f0c286a3.jpg

Thank you again.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You should post an intro in the new member section to tell us a bit about yourself.

I would see if I could get parts for it... someone else may have a better idea about the availability of parts. I think it depends on what you're willing to put into it though too. You might end up watching eBay and grabbing up any parts that come up for it... when they come up. ??? I'd totally give it a shot myself. :)

No worries. This is a good place to start the project thread. Your intro will go in the new member section.

I'm not sure the model either. Should have a VIN along the headstock you could check against the list here (http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/review/yamaha-vintage-dirt-bike-id-guide-21792.html) to see if it's listed. ? But I know next to nothing about them so the others will probably have a better idea. :)

Hi Sean

I don't know how valuable it could be, but I think it is a YR (1,2 or 3) ( http://dayerses.com/yamaha-yr-1.html) To me it is sacrilegious to break a bike down but at the worst it has some good original parts so it could still supply some much needed bits and pieces for another bike resto and of course put some money in to your own pocket,

Its a YDS3. 250 twin.

They did several vertions, an off road one. A single seater. Worth money yes, cost money to fix up, OH yes.

Worth it?

Speaking for myself if i found something like that yes.

As a collectable deffinately. Profit.?.........Doubt it unless you can do a lot of it yourself. Can't see you have it running cheap, esp if its siezed. Its all there though so it would make a real good progect.

If you have 5-600 (not too much engine nasty's) to throw at it you could have a nice original classic, leave anything that has aged with honest grace and fix the mechanical problems it WILL have and it could be a real cool ride.

Before even thinking of selling it for parts as you rarely end up selling allof the bike in parts .if your not into restoring it put up a reserve of say 800.00 and try selling it whole thenext person who does want to restor it would have what they need to make a proper bike.

That said I would first pull the heads off and soak the pistons in desiel fuel the most likely reson it's seized is the piston are stuck from rust and if they are not broken most likely could be used again with a good cleaning and fresh rings.

It looks like you have a whole bike minus a side plate so if your not in kind of rush to make the bike perfect it just looks like alot of cleaning polishing and paint.

As for profit after restoration more like you will spend more but if you hang on to it for another 20 yrs then well who knows.

I would do the resto and just ride it now and then for the cool factor

Why another 20 years its already nearly 40 as is. Its maybe a 73 (ish) and last ridden in 86, as a 2 stroke i'd say she blew and didn't get fixed. Thats why the motor could cost.

Its all big chunky tech and bearings are still available if you scour the parts lists as a lot of rd stuff works (yamaha are lazy) but in that dry climate the metal should be good but i'd bet the seals are shot to buggery.

Cynic The only reason i said 20 was just a rough # the older it gets the more it will cost to try and find 1 or fix it inflation of the dollar /wages so it stands to reason it will be worth more.

Even if it seized the barrels could be bored out and new pistons seals ect still wont run much over 600.00 and if the crank needs fixing that wont run much over 200.00 with new bearings,,, tires 250.00,, other bits and pieces I think it could be done for less that 2000.00.for a nice running bike.Concours whole different story.

But it would be a fun project and way better to see another bike restored than broken down only so many left.

Didn't someone post somthing about the 125 still being made in Pacastan might make finding parts like rims and fenders easy? If they prove hard to find in the USA.

Thats the thing with classics though, it will cost around 2, and its worth is around 2.

Good thing is the people it would appeal to still have cash so would sell. Kids left home etc.

wow all of you. Thank you so much for all your knowledge!!! Cynic thanks a bunch for finding the model. I think i'm going to make this into a stretched out project. It will be fun and I will post updates every so often on how i'm doing. Most likely I will be on here again seeking your genius!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online