79 DT175F carb plumbing/hoses

jbhome
This post is 4249 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

He's back.

Rather be riding but...

When I got the bike, there was a tube going from a fitting on the side of the carb in line with the slide, to a second fitting at the lower front/engine side of the carb. Both fittings are on the side opposite the choke pull.

There was a third fitting with a tube going to the oil pump.

Seemed correct but now I'm not so sure.

In thinking about it, isn't the bottom fitting on the float bowl the overflow, and shouldn't it just go back between engine and frame.

The fitting nearest the cylinder would seem a logical place for the oil fitting, leaving the one on the throttle slide???

With hoses fitted as originally purchased, the bike starts, idle picks up then engine dies.

I plugged the end of the tube going to the engine side of the carb (vs air cleaner side) and connected the line from the oil pump to the fitting on the throttle slide and things worked better but still not right.

Haven't been able to find any pictures of this area nor is there any good detail in the parts schematics.

Regards,

Jim

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Jim

I believe you are correct the hose on the bottom of the carb is the float chamber overflow, the hose in the side is also a breather, on my DT twinshock both of these are routed down the rear of the engine under the air box.

Aj

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully this clears the problem.

I replaced both crank seals and in the process, had to pull out and re-install the kickstart shaft. Now when/if the bike starts, I get a ratcheting sound from it even though the lever is all the way up.

what am I missing?

jim

Hi mod,

Thought I did but will check.

update on starting.

starts first kick on choke but as it warms, there is no idle. Keeping it around 4-5k will keep it running but release throttle and it dies.

haven't replaced o-ring on idle mix adjust needle but would expect that to move adjust setting at most.

guess I get to pull that apart again too.

Arrggh would like one ride fore it snows.

yeah sounds like you need to strip and clean the carb again paying particular attn to the pilot jet and the bypass hole, use a carb cleaner aerosol and straw...and compressed air if you have it available

Check for intake leaks too.

what's the best way to do that.

I took off the intake manifold and chkd the reeds. They looked ok but the gasket was toast. I made a new one and used grease on if rather than gasket goo. Will the rubberized side seal to the carb fitting?

• 3 weeks later...

ok finally it works.

first comment ... Never assume.

I assumed the bike was in factory state....WRONG

as noted earlier,

oil seal in oil pump blown

oil o/p line connected to float bowl overflow fitting

throttle slide hose connected to oil input fitting on carb

main jet needle clip set 1 down from normal/center position

air cleaner backwards in box. This was the last issue

the bike now revs freely, doesn't smoke and pulls like a champ

Never assume.

now maybe I can get a ride in before the white stuff comes and clean it up over the winter.

thanks everyone for your help, and patience in resurrecting my new ride

jim

Well I thought I was done.

This is regarding the kickstart not disengaging.

The picture above doesn't show the parts behind the gear. There is a lobe on the shaft the limits the travel of the shaft (foot off kickstart /foot and kickstart at lowest position). There is also a large spring clip that should ride in a groove on the back of the gear on mounted on the kickstart shaft. In my case this came off/moved and was sitting between the gear and the case limiting the gear's ability to clear the clutch gear. The spring clip, slides on the gear but... has enough friction when you kick, to stop the drive gear from turning. This in turn causes the gear to run up the spline on the kickstart shaft and engage the clutch gear and start the engine. In my case, there was not enough tension on the spring so a little bending was required to ensure it properly engaged the gears. It would sure be nice if there were pictures of this. I have a service manual that has phrases like install and remove. I for one expect a little more from a manual. It's kind of like putting an open door sticker on a locked door to a room. I know I want to open the door. The question is how.

So much for my rant. On step closer to being done.

ASSUME Makes a ASS u ME LOL I have got to agree manuals can be just a wee I---------------------------------------------------I bit vauge at times normaly when u need the most info.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online