R1 and R6 de-restriction and ECU flashing

r1mike
This post is 4392 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there, suggestion was made that I tell you how/why I flashed my ECU on my 09 "long bang" R1.

I bought the bike and found that the engine braking was way to harsh, it just didn't inspire any confidence when out riding, especially those on/off throttle moments like transitioning and setting up for corners, at the same time I was looking at getting rid of the F-ugly exhaust pipes and unleash the sound some more.

So I began searching first for information on PowerCommanders and Bazzaz units to remap the fuelling for when I changed the exhaust, and then I came across lots of people complaining about the severe engine braking, and some that had fitted the YEC race ECU and this had solved the problem, although the YEC ECU was rare and expensive and also you needed to replace or modify the wiring harness, so that was out.

This was around Sept/Oct last year and several companies started up that could flash ECU's with similar configurations to the YEC setup, although they were all American and they wanted $500 for the flash, ouch !

So I began talking to a couple of the companies and in the end purchased the necessary kit to perform the flash myself.

So first of all I flashed the ECU with standard pipes on, removed the emmissions based throttle restrictions that Yamaha had kindly put in, adjusted the engine braking and took it for a spin and wow, a totally different bike, smooth and responsive throttle and on/off throttle was flawless a much nicer feel, and there seemed to be more power, everywhere.

Next up Full Leo Vince SBK EVO II system, grabbed the relevant fuel map and uploaded onto the ECU - no need for an expensive PowerCommander and wow, incredible increase in power, and oh the sound of the bike, it was everything I had dreamed it would be when I bought the bike.

Anyway, 8 months on and I have refined the maps and settings a little more, next up is a programmable QuickShifter which is configurable from the flash software, it's on order and will be here shortly.

I now offer the flashing/de-restriction/mapping as a service as well as provide the kit to do yourself for your own use (with a little training) and the quick shifters, If anyone is interested then PM me your bike and modifications and your phone number and I can give you a bell to discuss. I cover R6's 06-11 and R1's 07-12.

All the best

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Fitted a Quickshifter kit on my own bike today, its features are controlled by the ECU flash as well this is what it look like on.

IMG_4516.jpg

I have set is not to work below 4000rpm and it is smooth as silk upshifting, like an automatic, I Love it !

Mike