xvs650 vs dragstar 1998 engine

andymck
This post is 4415 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

If anyone can help me you guys can. Had a rather large oil leak from the frontmost (looking at the bike head on) cylinder cover.

Managed to take it off to find the cover had the top screw in and had been glued the rest of the way round ( absolutely no screwhole/thread left at the bottom).

Now have found a couple of things on ebay but wish to check the fountain of all knowledge here.

Is there any difference in the engine between a 1998 XVS650 classic and and 1998 XVS650 Dragstar.

if not if I am looking at the engine from the side. is the rear cylinder head at the back of the engine ( I know this may sound rather daft but I cannot find a front cylinder head replacement but there are a couple of rear cylinder heads.

Anyhow thanks in advance for your knowledge and advice. I really want to get the old girl back on the road.

cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Your looking at the eng the right way. any chance you can post a picture of your heads problem It may be fixable,if it just the threads that are striped out you can put a heli coil in.. if part of the head is broke out any good welder can build it back and then drill and tap new threads.And file it back flat and even with the rest of the head.

Dragstar and classic same eng.

Most likely why you can't find a front is cause they get smashed up in accidents

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online