Good Bike for a "Little person".

CorradosandYahas
This post is 4411 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

A friend of mine wants to get her first dirt bike. She is looking for something old and cheap, so im trying to get her on to an old yamaha. The problem Is she is only 5"0' tall 100lbs. She doesnt even comfortably fit on my DT175. What are some recommendations for a fun learner bike for someone that short? It will be used almost exclusively off-road. We found one 1993 RT100 for sale, but have not been able to check it out yet.

Or whats involved in lowering the suspension on an older bike like the late 70's to early 80's DT's or TT's?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You have 2 options for the front suspension either sild the forks up a bit or, cut the springs the better way to go.

The back twin shock bike get shorter shocks, mono shock more difficult you will need to make a longer link at the bottom of the shock or cut the spring as she is only 100 lbs and most bikes are sprung for much heaver ppl very little chance of bottoming out the shock if it's cut down.

The other option is put smaller wheels on.

All that said why not just get a yz 80 or 85 a 5foot 100lb rider would have a blast on one and you should be able to pick one up for less than 2 grand for a fairly new bike. Most bikes less than 1g are in need of work and by the time you fix them your back at the 2 g mark anyway.

The yamaha tt225 is fairly low to start with not sure of the seat height but should be close for a 5 ft rider.

Good luck finding her a bike hope she loves riding once bitten by the bug no going back

I'm 5'2" and the 100s are as tall as I can go on dirt bikes... well the dirt bikes I've ridden anyway (KD100M and XR100). But I'm fairly certain I was able to sit comfortably on the DT175 (otherwise I would not have accepted it) so my legs might be a bit longer?