dt50 engine swap

mecalder
This post is 4414 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everyone.

I have a 1986 dt50 (which I was told when i bought it was a 125). It was missing the top end so i wne ton the search for a top end (i can get a 70cc or a larger engine.

I have found an early 80's dt125 engine aircooled like mine and looks similar. Does anyone know if this will drop straight into my frame. Anything I should have in mid as I attempt this.

thanks alot for the feedback and help on this one.

Jason

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Anything can be made to fit but to get that lump in you will prob need the front frame tubes from the 125, reinforce the rear monts. Fab a completely different exhaust. Let alone tank and head clearance. To state just a few issues.

Stregthen the suspention and brakes as they struggle to deal with a big bore.

TBH waste of time as it will be diffucult to mot and nigh in impossible to insure. As an exercise it would be interesting.

Hey jason it will be a big job as cynic poited out the suspension just wont take the extra weight. . I have been busy and no time to look into it but I think the engine cases are the same for the 80 if so then the 80cc top end will fit on your bottom end. Ask your local dealer to check the main case part # for a air cooled 80 against the dt 50#

Luckly we only have to mto saftey a bike once not every year like in the UK and hot rodding is still leagle here so that wont be that big of a issue. The insurance companys are going to charge you for a 200cc bike anyway i know it seems stupid but they don't reconize anything smaller here

Also in your last post someone gave you a contact of someone who might ship the kit you were looking for any luck with that? or did you miss it?

Luckly we only have to mto saftey a bike once not every year like in the UK and hot rodding is still leagle here so that wont be that big of a issue. The insurance companys are going to charge you for a 200cc bike anyway i know it seems stupid but they don't reconize anything smaller here

You lucky sods. You can do what you like..........

Wow, this is the tread I was looking for.

I`ve done Dt 50 (air cooled) to Dt 80 (liquid cooled) conversion... and it is quite simple if you have 2 motorcycles. To be more correct, I`ve fit a RD 80 engine in my DT 50. RD80 and DT 80 LC are the same machine, diference is only in cooler.

If anyone need my help, let me know. I can post images from DT 50 with 80 cc engine.

Also, i`m looking for kick start shaft with spring and sprocket for RD/DT 80.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online