Just resurfaced my Xj 600 S 1995 but need advise

robmac78
This post is 4415 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well first I think this would be a good time to say hello to everyone. This is the first time I have been on this site.

Following some of the threads in all the different sections is amazing to know people really love their Yamaha.

I love my Yamaha, always have, I've always kept it had different bikes, i've even gone to the dark side and sampled the Kawasaki and the Suzuki but I have always kept hold of my first 'big' bike.

This bike would be the XJ600S Diversion 1995...not the best Yamaha but more of a sentimental issue for me. This bike hasn't seen the light of day for nearly 5 years it has been stuck in my garage hidden away in the corner. I have finally come to get it out of its dark place and not surprisingly is wont start, obviously not being totally stupid so I did the following...fresh petrol..Cleaned plugs then changed plugs..Made sure battery is fully charged..all I get is a clicking from what sounds like the starter relay.

What I want to check before the wallet comes out is that is this diagnosis correct or should I be looking in other areas? Any help to get my ‘big’ bike back on the road would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome Rob

before ya start her,,,,, back wheel off the groung,,,,, 5 or 6th gear,,,,,,take out the plugs,,,,,turn wheel slowly to make sure all is ok. Put 1/2 spoon of oil in plug holes if ya want,,,,,,,, turn wheel again to help free things up,,,,,,,its a long time lying up so engine will be dry.

Brushes are probably stuck in the starter,,so starter doesnt move,,so relay clickes. It could also be the relay is goosed.

Tap the starter with something solid,,like wood,,might free the brushes

If ya think starter is free and relay is gone,, you could cross the starter terminals with a screwdriver,, or ya could bump start her down the road ( this is iffy though as ya dont know what the bike is going to do. The revs could be high and could end up in disaster )

You will prob have to let some of the moth's outa your wallet eventually though.

Thanks for the reply..sorry I have only just got back to you I got back off business on Friday. I followed your suggestions and yep you were correct about the engine being dry, camels feet had more moisture. Put the oil in turned the wheel in 5th with plugs out but still no joy with the starting. I managed to bump start it down the road with major high revs. No disaster though. Now I know she'll start I think I'll replace both the starter motor and relay. Moths will be gone when I'm finished.

Just glad to know she isn't dead.

Thanks for your advice, will let you know how she goes when I replce the parts

Rob

I think it could possibly be the starter motor BRUSHES as Pat suggested.

Not cheap, a genuine set fro Yamaha will be about £50

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online