RD 350 YPVS N2 Fuel Filler Problem

Naughty Nigel
This post is 4420 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As I posted in the New Members forum, I decided to dig my trusty YPVS out of the garage over the weekend, and have been giving her a good clean and polish.

It looks as if I will need to fix the fuel tap as it leaks when I try to turn it. I gather there are seals kits available so that should be easy enough to do.

However, the aircraft style fuel filler cap is more of a mystery. The key turns, but the cap will not open. I have tried removing the Allen head screws, but these don't seem to get me anywhere. And in any case, if the locking mechanism won't retract, the cap won't open regardless. I have a horrible feeling that I might have to drill it out.

Is this a known problem, and more to the point, is there a known fix?

I have been spraying WD40 into and around the lock in the hope that it will help free up whatever is stuck. The key turns very easily and doesn't seem to have any spring pressure, but will only go about 1/8 of a turn before it stops dead and will go no further. It is a long time since I have ridden the bike, but I seem to remember there was some spring pressure when turning the key, and that it turned about 1/4 of a turn before the cap opened, but I could be wrong.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

The bike has only covered about 8,200 miles since new, so there is not too much wear anywhere, and it is all pretty well bog standard.

NN

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

On my tdr you have to press down on the cap as you turn the key.

Thanks guys. I have been wiggling and pushing the filler cap down, but so far no luck! I will keep up with the WD40 treatment for a while to see what happens.

I seem to remember that the filler cap internals were prone to condensing moisture, which will encourage corrosion.

On a completely different topic, the front brake had become very spongy, which didn't surprise me. However, when I opened the master cylinder it was filled with a brown, crystalline mush, which I had to spoon out! (It looked rather like aluminium corrosion salts, but brown, although the inside of the reservoir was not corroded.)

Once I got it clean I filled the reservoir with fresh fluid, bled the system through several times and it was fine.

NN

AndyDtr08 has one of those bikes send him a PM with a link to here, he will be able to point you in the right direction re the fuel tank cap operation

Thanks, will do.

NN

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online