Rear brake squeking

Grouch
This post is 4422 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

When I got my bike after a few weeks the rear brake started squeking. After trying brake cleaner it still would squek. It sounds horrible and it embarrasses me, I'm a complete beginner D.I.Y. bike mechanic, but have replaced the pads three times now and it still continues. I can't think of anything else now apart from replacing the disc. The original pads were worn down to the metal so I think they have damaged the disc, also I suspect my bike has its original discs still on six years after been made.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When you put in new pads they will squeak for a while untill they bed in to match the disk.

You need to check that the brake is not sticking on a little.

When you release the brake can you see the pads move away from the disk,,, they wont move much so look closly.

Did you clean away any drake dust that might of been on the "anti rattle" shims.

Anti rattle shims are the thin bits of steel that your pads sit into. When you put in the new pads you should of put a tiny bit of grease on the anti rattle shims so that the pads can slide easy on them. Keep grease away from pads and disk. It should be "copper grease" but i never have any so i just use ordinary grease.

Another thing it could be is,,,,,if the brake is not releasing then you may have a slightly stuck brake piston. If this is the case then let me know and ill tell ya what to do.

Other than that it might need new disks,,,, run your finger accross the disk,,,, can you feel ridges in the disk,,, if you can and these ridges are pritty big then you prob need new disks.

So,,,,, pads out,,, grease the shims,,, pads in,,,,, check an make sure brake is working before going for a spin.

Then go for a decent spin and use the back brake a lot. when the pads warm up they will bed in faster and this will eventually take away the squeaking.

If in dout let me know

Pat

Cheers Pat,

The rear disc has circles on it, exactly the same as a tree trunk, when you chop it in half. This has occured through allowing the original pads to ware down to the metal. This was done through inexperience. When I fitted the new pads I greased them and made sure they were not contaminated.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online