Rebuilding a TZR 250

Dp748
This post is 4147 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys & Gals,

Have been offered a totally dismantled tzr 250 3ma (I think)! and I fancy rebuilding it for a laugh.

The only thing that concerns me is the availabatey of spares.

Not really that worried about engine parts, it's more like the rubber groment for the fairing.

Can anyone help this worry?

Cheers

Dave

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You have it wrong. Cycle parts arenot too hard to find but that motor alone could cost you a grand.

Parts alone for a full overhaul on a good one will be around 300. Throw in nakerquicksil barrels and any bearins/crank work and it just takes off. Don't forget to add labour unless you are well used to 2strokes.

The rest is nit too bad but its 20pluss years old so everything will cost. If due to the nature of the bike and itsvtypical owner a lot of what you have may be scrap.

I don't want to out you off but 'for a laugh' is not the most encouraging phrases for a build like this.

;) note down the frame number and visit a reputable Yamaha dealers parts dept who will look up specific items on the computer to check availability and prices for you ...

Cynic,,,,, are these the same engine as your TDR?? just wondering

Yep. Except for 1st gear and cdi/pv settings to give more torque it the same. I think the TZR250 lights up at 7 grand and runs on to around 11.

Nuts and blolts wise they are the same. I kniw what it costs after my oil cock up where i thought i was looking at a rebuild.

400 notes for diy or 6 for stan stephens to do it. Chuck in a rebore, some bearings and a bit of cosmetics and a grand comes and goes very easily.

When you remember its a 2 stroke with known weak points like the lh crank seal and the waterpump seal. These bikes in bits are an expensive gamble. Even good ones.

• 4 months later...

Just seen this and although it is from back in august thought it was worth saying that the 3MA is the reverse cylinder model so very different to the TDR which is the same as the UK TZR250 2MA and rest of the world 1KT model.