XT125R

ldeniro
This post is 4411 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

I have read all over the net concerning this but am still facing some difficulties concerning problems with the Speedo.

At first the speedo was not showing anything on the display and not even lighting up. A trip to the local bike shop told me that I needed a new one as the old one had broken.

I decided to take it apart and just check the components to see whether any had burnt out but they had not. When I plugged it back in, it came up displaying the standard enduro and motard mode choice that everyone talks about. From reading other posts I attempted to set this to the correct mode a couple of times, but each time I tried this, the screen back light came on and '125' was displayed on the screen before it died again.

I am just wondering whether anyone else has ever had this and in fact whether I do need to buy a new unit or whether the bike shop is trying to get me to spend £211.75 for no reason. Is there a certain type of programing that I have to use or could this be a connection fault on the bike.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Guys,

I have read all over the net concerning this but am still facing some difficulties concerning problems with the Speedo.

At first the speedo was not showing anything on the display and not even lighting up. A trip to the local bike shop told me that I needed a new one as the old one had broken.

I decided to take it apart and just check the components to see whether any had burnt out but they had not. When I plugged it back in, it came up displaying the standard enduro and motard mode choice that everyone talks about. From reading other posts I attempted to set this to the correct mode a couple of times, but each time I tried this, the screen back light came on and '125' was displayed on the screen before it died again.

I am just wondering whether anyone else has ever had this and in fact whether I do need to buy a new unit or whether the bike shop is trying to get me to spend £211.75 for no reason. Is there a certain type of programing that I have to use or could this be a connection fault on the bike.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Also just to confirm, the small square lights for the indicator signal and side/headlights are lighting up so there is contant power there.

Thanks

Its a design fault which yam dealers will fix within warrenty

mines been rewired 3 times and the last time i rewired it,

it wasnt the wirin loom it was the back of the key ignition

the three contact plates were loose

due the springs behind them lossin compression

simple fix was to clean the contacts

and strech the springs by 4 - 5 mm

put back togethe in the right combo

and it all worked

iv got the same problem again

dose only the green head light square

and indicator green square work

good luck let us know if ya find the fault

Hi guys,

I have the exact problem on my XT 125 X. It has been like that for months so I have just got used to it, but I'm getting it fixed so it looks like I need a brand new speedo.

Just a thought if it is a reacuring problem would it not make sence to put on a aftermarket speedo Iv seen them around the 80 dollar mark(CANADIAN)

Its a design fault which yam dealers will fix within warrenty

mines been rewired 3 times and the last time i rewired it,

it wasnt the wirin loom it was the back of the key ignition

the three contact plates were loose

due the springs behind them lossin compression

simple fix was to clean the contacts

and strech the springs by 4 - 5 mm

put back togethe in the right combo

and it all worked

iv got the same problem again

dose only the green head light square

and indicator green square work

good luck let us know if ya find the fault

turned out that wasnt the problem for me this time

checked the fuse battery and ground conections still nothing

giveing a full system check ove the next couple of day

can guarentee its a connection issue

let ya know if i can pin point the problem

give a proper solution with out spendin hundreds

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Motorcycle-Universal-Trail-Tech-Vapor-Digital-Speedo-Dashboard-Silver-/170852059567?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item27c79389af

I'm getting one of these and my bike is booked into the garage next week for it to be fitted.

If the speedo is knackered replace it because all XT 125 X/R speedo's are crap, it's a

common fault on them.

Thanks for your answers. I went with some advice from a local bike shop and brought a new speedo assembly. After messing about with Yamaha because they sent the wrong one initially, I have plugged the new one in to find that it does exactly the same as the old one. 125 flashes up and then a blank screen.

Im now £220 out of pocket and the problem persists. If anyone has any other ideas concerning the wiring etc, please let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for your answers. I went with some advice from a local bike shop and brought a new speedo assembly. After messing about with Yamaha because they sent the wrong one initially, I have plugged the new one in to find that it does exactly the same as the old one. 125 flashes up and then a blank screen.

Im now £220 out of pocket and the problem persists. If anyone has any other ideas concerning the wiring etc, please let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Like I said you need to buy the one I showed which does not connect to your existing loom.

This is the one I am getting

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Motorcycle-Universal-Trail-Tech-Vapor-Digital-Speedo-Dashboard-Silver-/170852059567?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item27c79389af

It does not connect to your existing loom, it comes with it's own sensors etc. My 2006 XT 125 X is doing the exact same thing as yours.

well well finally checked full system and nothing so

last check was the speedo unit its self

removed it from the bike

as soon as i fliped it over i noticed an deformation of the casing :eusa_think:

(Not Good)

soon as i opend here up there was one big burn mark across the board

and one of the components litrally crumbled to ash

I couldnt help but piss myself laughin :biglaugha:

gonna buy a second hand one for the time being

and replace the lot like grouch

I've bought the 'Vapor' model speedo from eBay. The shop was actually in my home city so I went to the shop in person. The speedo cost £92 and I need a mounting case which will cost approx £40, only they were out of stock. I'm waiting for the mounting to arrive then it's getting fitted by a mechanic. I actually had the bike booked in today to get done but I needed the mount as it couldn't be mounted to the original speedo as a temporary measure i.e cable tied because of the wires at the back of the unit. It is a magnetic piece that mounts on the brake disc. It is a really simple device so I could do it myself but can't be bothered. It will probably take an hour to attach. The speedo itself seems a bit plasticky and doesn't look like it would survive getting caught in a heavy downpour of rain. I suppose I can make a cover for it or something. The display light is blue. It has loads of functions but I will only use the speedo.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online