Yamaha oil-types?

SRXy
This post is 6902 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The specs for my SRX400 suggest that I use "Yamaha 4stroke engine oil types G, Z, X" does anybody have an idea what the ratings of these oil-types are? Are they 10W30? With the current oil I'm using the gears-changes do seem a little chunky.

I've googled the phrase but can't get any decent sites.

Please help

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've had the best luck with Castrol 10w40 over the years.......run it in everything I've got.....even my lawn-mower ;)

I've also ran 20w50 Castrol in the summer months.......which works really well for those clunky gearbox issues. B)

I'm sure Pete will tell you that Silkolene is the way to go.......can't argue too much with that as it is pretty good oil.........but for the money, Castrol does the job for me........I used to be dilagent about running "YamaLube" in my bikes, until I found out that their properties are the same as Castrol.....for twice the money! :blink:

I guess it really boils down to Personal Preference ;)

HAHAHA......

does silkolene give you a cut everytime you mention their name...hahaha

well thanks for the info I'll have a look. Will get my bike back tomorrow....hopefully it's all sorted out now

• 4 weeks later...

to be honest i have never been a big fan of silkolene

having tested it extensively on my own road and race bikes and also building engines for many people over the years

its ok but thats about it

there are better lubes around for high spec 4 strokes you cant beat motul with shell and castrol running a close second

two strokes and the best premix i have ever seen has been morris fully synthetic

its awesome stuff with motul 800v, rock oil and shell advance very high up there

ike i say just personal opininion based upon long distance road bikes, dyno runs and race winning experience

i might put silkolene on my chain or in my forks but never in the expensive bit!!

i might put silkolene on my chain or in my forks but never in the expensive bit!!

You're the first person I've ever heard say that mate.

Can you elaborate a bit....cos even the sites and forums on oil discussions rate Silkolene very highly.

just a personal thing really

it is obviously good enough or else they would be out of business but to me it is nothing special just good oil not great

pro 4 plus is a fairly high performer but nothing as good as motul or shells race oils

silkolenes highest price synthetic two stroke oil is exactly the same as their scooter oil which is half the price it is just in a different bottle aimed at a lower spending market!!!

Motul is about the only brand of lubricant that exceeds by a long way the specifications laid down by engine makers etc

that means that temperature wise it can be run a ot hotter before it ashes in the case of two strokes or breaks down in the case of a four strokes

i have seen this first hand i my own race engines that had they been running another brand would not have made it over the line after a mechanical failure etc

i know for a fact that a lot of teams run Motul oil and run other peoples stickers

for financial reasons

it is very good stuff so why run anything less than the very best

the other oils i mention as liking have also been tested extensively by both myself and race teams i have worked with as well as part of many magazine articles etc

the man on the street is attracted by fancy advertising, after all thats why the companies spend so much on it, and in the case of silkolene the in store stuff is very compelling but look around and see how many race teams are using the stuff when compared with the huge market share they claim to have in the UK?

ask Ron Dennis!!! he has certainly tested it beyond its original design brief

ive heard great things about it but never used it personally it was the first fully synth and they have spent a bundle on it since so i guess it must be up there

it certainly isn't a shell base oil with additives put in and rebranded!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online