xt600 E 1985 chain tensioner

Dickwad
This post is 4242 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, anyone know if its possible to adjust the chain tensioner on a 1985 xt600E, Its my mates bike and its rattling like a diesel engine, the sound is coming from the timing chain tensioner area, is it possible to adjust, or if its self adjusting, if so, do they get stuck and not adjust themselves fully?? this happened to my 1100 drag, and I freed it up, and now its fine, "any thoughts".

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There self adjusting and if its rattling then more likel than not needs a new chain.

TTB

• 1 month later...

Well, she is and old lady, time to change the valve-operating gear. When the engine starts to be out of timing means a headache, especially if you are far away home in a rainy day with thunders, bolt of lightning, flashes and whatever... it's possible to fix once in a case of emergency, but the problem could be worst the second time

Change it including the chain drive, the guide and the strut (sorry if is not the right word). I have the original parts list, can give you the codes:

94570-27126-00 Timing chain

34K-12331-00-00 Strut *

34K-12241-00-00 Guide

* Maybe it isn't the right name, my manual is in Portuguese and I'm learning English! Check for models after 1993