xj900s rear brake dragging

wicked will
This post is 4367 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Rear brake 'dragging', whether brake is used or not, disc getting very hot, ie; you cant put your hand on it. Caliper has been stripped, cleaned, fitted new seals, replaced anti-rattle shims (which were missing, presumed discarded by previous owner), master cylinder stripped to check for sticking piston, broken spring etc., fluid changed for new.

Disc maximum runout is .15mm (approx. .006" in english money) mine is .2mm (.008"). .002" over, can this be enough to generate this amount of heat? or is there something else I can try before blowing a ton on a new disc. I'd be grateful for any good advice. PS; Please dont ask if my foot is resting on the brake lever. Wicked Will.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Will the only thought that comes to mind is possibly to much grease in the sliders not alowing the caliper to fully center. all discs get hot I would check it with a non contact temp gun and check it against others might be normal and your worring about nothing. I doubt the extrx .002 would do much other than make the pads move farther away from the disc causing a longer pedal travel,provided everything is floting freely.

Good luck you should also fill out your intro in new members Phil K

Many thanks to Phil & Kevin, in response to Phil, good thinking, but as far as I can tell the XJ900s rear brake is rigid as opposed to floating front brake design. Kev, thanks, had not considered that one, fluid has been running freely through the brake line when I stripped the caliper and I can see some movement (both directions) at the pistons when footbrake is operated. It just does'nt seem to be enough movement to be allowing the disc to run freely enough. Will get back to you on this one.

• 2 months later...

Michale it would seem to me that most don't bother to change brake fluid in your neck of the woods try that first.And lube the sliders on the caliper

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online