No Electrics!

jayred1979
This post is 6917 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

Purchased a 1978 yamaha xs250 last week. It has no electrical life at all! I changed the fuses, battery, cleaned the ignition switch, checked two earth connections that I could find, blown bulbs and general wear and corrosion however this has not rectified the problem.

I'm not hot on electrics but i'm thinking that perhaps some wiring could be disconnected. Can anybody offer any suggestions or help!

Jason :(

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

right after the battery there is a main fuse which supplies the entire bike, if this is gone you'll get no juice. it then goes to your ignition switch. check for a feed at the ignition switch (it should be a red cable). it should read 12 volts. if it is, you've got a faulty switch. its possible to use crocodile clips to short out the wires at the back of the switch, but only if you've got a wiring diagram. let me know how you get on.

right after the battery there is a main fuse which supplies the entire bike, if this is gone you'll get no juice. it then goes to your ignition switch. check for a feed at the ignition switch (it should be a red cable). it should read 12 volts. if it is, you've got a faulty switch. its possible to use crocodile clips to short out the wires at the back of the switch, but only if you've got a wiring diagram. let me know how you get on.

I took your advice and got a new ignition switch in the end. The bike is up and running and i'm back on the road scaring the hell out of car drivers!

Cheers mate!

Good luck keeping up with them Ninja's

The bike is up and running and i'm back on the road scaring the hell out of car drivers!

Great News Jayred! B) .......Gotta keep those clueless Cagers on their toes, ya know. :rolleyes:;)

• Who's Online (See full list)