Carburetor problem?

TheBoltons
This post is 4438 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I have just stripped my carb off my SR125 down, and found the remains of the main jet in the main jet nozzle :S

Wondered if anyone could tell me if this is 100% a needed part, or whether it can function without for the time being. Obviously it will be affecting the fuel mix, but can I just adjust the screw to compensate? Also, although everything in the carb seemed clean, I cleaned it anyway, but I am not sure whether or not there should be any rubber washer or anything in the float needle seat - the only carbs I have opened up before all had an o ring thingy to ensure a tight shut off, but this one hasn't, and the reason I stripped it down in the first place is because I suspected that there was a problem with the float or needle which was causing an occasional fuel leak.

Also, unrelated, my front brake caliper has one cylinder larger than the other... is this normal? And could this result in uneven wear on the pads?

Thank you muchly,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

AH duh no yamaha puts parts in you don't need... and expect you to fix it by buggering with it till you kill yourself.

Buy a manual get serious about fixing your bike ,,,,,and stop trying to cheep out and kill yourself over 100 bucks. Or get someone who can .

By and far this is the most stupid ???? I have read in any posting

Wow... Ok firstly, I have a manual. Secondly, I am hardly risking my life here nor am I "cheaping out." Thirdly the part in question costs about £4, Fourthly its not like I am "making do" with faulty brakes or anything like that, the bike was running without it, and I am just wanting to know how much if at all it is contributing to the few issues I have. And lastly, if you have nothing useful to say, STFU.

I have every intention of replacing the said part, the bike is not in use at present, nor is it taxed or MOTd, the question was can I continue works on engine and carb etc, without that part UNTIL IT ARRIVES, working around it FOR THE TIME BEING by adjusting the fuel mix...

Jeeez...

Wow handbags at dawn.......

Anyho, i would have said if it runs as is there may be other problems as carbs are a purely sfunctional item. If it don't need it it isn't there so yes i would say you HAVE to fix it. Carbs opperation are full of overlaping 'zones' i would imagine you have been lucky and its managed to run as is. For how long don't know and it may cause valve/piston issues in the future if its very lean as a result.

Some float needles don't have a rubber seal they just use the fact that brass is soft and with accurate machining can readily be made to seal without extras's.

Finally, the brake caliper has 2 different sized pistons to PREVENT uneven pad ware the smaller piston is nearer the inlet? This will press on the pad using some of the fluid pressure in the process. The larger surface area of the bigger piston will exert the same force as even though there is less pressure for it the piston area compensates for this making for a much better pad contact. Largely redundant now from better brake and pad tech.

HTH

Thankyou Cynic. I am looking for the part, but its hard to find one that is model specific. May have to get a generic part. As I said, in the meantime the bike isnt running anyway. The frame is in the garage, the engine is in the shed, and the fuek tank and carb are in my kitchen.

Your answer to the caliper question makes perfect sense, I just thought it was a littke odd, and there WAS an uneven wear on the old pads. Quite significantly uneven - nonexistent at one side and a good 2.5mm on the other :-S

Have replaced seals now anyway so will see how the new pads fare.

And with regards to the float needle, will see how it gets on now its all cleaned, if need be ill take a little wet/dry to it.

Unrelated, im finding it impossible to get the crank case (clutchside) off!!! Not one screw will budge! Am intending to replace them all with hex bolts anyway so if all else fails ill drill em lol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online