My xt600 Project (stolen recovered)

M0j0
This post is 4256 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all this is the story of my 1984 XT600

I purchased it in feb 2011 as a bit of a dog it had 32km on the clock and a horrible paint job

RbHttpHandler-1.jpg

RbHttpHandleh-1.jpg

gh.jpg

I then resprayed it and had it mot'd and it passed first time it then looked like

IMG00220-20110311-1100.jpg

It then got stolen in mid march 2011, police couldnt find it and as my excess was so high i didnt claim and just took it on the chin.

Yesturday (26/7/2012) i went into my local bike shop (in the same town i live in!) to look at a white xt they had as a field bike, i told the bike shop owner i had one stolen and he was nice and wanted to make sure the one he was selling wasnt mine so i got my v5 (i never declared it lost/stolen/scrapped to the DVLA) and my vin matched! the police were called sorted some stuff out and as i never claimed technocally meens i still own it! so i got it back there and then (bike owner even delivered it to my house!)

Sadly its a right state! paints terrible, lights and wirings all missing, massive oil leak, chains about buggered, tyres bald and gennerally just been abused :( theres no clocks, etc so thats handy! :(

So as a ongoing project going to rewire and get all the lights working again, etc and at somepoint get it back on the road

0_0_0_0_207_155_csupload_46332643_large.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That's a damn shame that people do things like that! Good thing it's back in good hands. Here's to getting it sorted. I suggested you post pics in your intro but you can disregard that now. :)

that's amazing you managed to get it back hope the police chased up who had the bike ( i doubt it though as not reported)

Hey all this is the story of my 1984 XT600

I purchased it in feb 2011 as a bit of a dog it had 32km on the clock and a horrible paint job

RbHttpHandler-1.jpg

RbHttpHandleh-1.jpg

gh.jpg

I then resprayed it and had it mot'd and it passed first time it then looked like

IMG00220-20110311-1100.jpg

It then got stolen in mid march 2011, police couldnt find it and as my excess was so high i didnt claim and just took it on the chin.

Yesturday (26/7/2012) i went into my local bike shop (in the same town i live in!) to look at a white xt they had as a field bike, i told the bike shop owner i had one stolen and he was nice and wanted to make sure the one he was selling wasnt mine so i got my v5 (i never declared it lost/stolen/scrapped to the DVLA) and my vin matched! the police were called sorted some stuff out and as i never claimed technocally meens i still own it! so i got it back there and then (bike owner even delivered it to my house!)

Sadly its a right state! paints terrible, lights and wirings all missing, massive oil leak, chains about buggered, tyres bald and gennerally just been abused :( theres no clocks, etc so thats handy! :(

So as a ongoing project going to rewire and get all the lights working again, etc and at somepoint get it back on the road

0_0_0_0_207_155_csupload_46332643_large.jpg

Strange that because i spotted that on the net today still for sale for £595 and i thought the same, Sorry but what a dog.

Thought about having alook as im only 15 miles west away from the town. Is it a genuine 55W Tenere or a 43F with the

a Tenere tank fitted, if its the later its worth sorting and spending a few quid on it as they are getting rare now.

Should the bike be white or blue , good luck with sorting it out.

i have by the way a good white headlamp cowl still on my 43F XT600 that will be for sale as i have a nos set.

PM me if your interested.

Cheers TTB

Strange that because i spotted that on the net today still for sale for £595 and i thought the same, Sorry but what a dog.

Thought about having alook as im only 15 miles west away from the town. Is it a genuine 55W Tenere or a 43F with the

a Tenere tank fitted, if its the later its worth sorting and spending a few quid on it as they are getting rare now.

Should the bike be white or blue , good luck with sorting it out.

i have by the way a good white headlamp cowl still on my 43F XT600 that will be for sale as i have a nos set.

PM me if your interested.

Cheers TTB

Yeah it was up for 595! Crazy stuff lucky they had the headlight and cowl just needs reattaching but there's no wiring for it yet, it was originally blue (on log book) as for what model I have no idea? How can I tell? Logbook is useless just says yamaha 600 Cheers

Awsome you got your bike back been thier done that.

So how about just a remake of it...... bull with stock make it yours nothing in now so A rewire some tires and chain and go.

Mabey a UFO light kit,,, twin lights some new mini turn lights .......shame about the ex and havin to bite it. But make the best of it now EH? A we bit of spit and polish and she can look great again

Best of luck with the new relationship with a old friend

PS buy a big chain and lock would hate to hear the same story again

Did the shop owner not manage to track whoever it was that sold them it?

i've had a few offroaders that my local garage wudnt take as P/X as they never had V5's

• 4 weeks later...

Well after a month of work its Mot'd and ready for the road - all work except for valves and stator bolts were done by me and my dad

Its had all new custom wiring for lighting, etc

oil and filter (sorted oil leaks)

chain and sprockets (see below)

Speedo & Rev counter inc new Cables

Carb cleaned & manifold rubbers replaced due to one of the old one split

New Air filters

New Spark Plug

The engine was making a weird noise thought it was the cam chain so took it to a local machenic and he checked and thought it could be the valve clearences so he adjusted them and found the noise was from the stator bolts coming loose and coursing it to rattle all sorted now :) starts 100% better now!

Front Sprocket (old one 1 tooth less) - Rear wasnt much better!

NorthKesteven-20120813-00055.jpg

and finnaly a new paint job! not everyones cup of tea but i like it the paints called "fantasy pink", did all the prep and paint my self :)

NorthKesteven-20120902-00065.jpg

NorthKesteven-20120902-00067.jpg

NorthKesteven-20120902-00066.jpg

NorthKesteven-20120902-00068.jpg

NorthKesteven-20120902-00072.jpg

NorthKesteven-20120902-00074.jpg

NorthKesteven-20120902-00069.jpg

While Painting

NorthKesteven-20120901-00063.jpg

NorthKesteven-20120901-00064.jpg

Still a few jobs to do like a fork oil seal and seat cover and source a side panel but all theres can be done on the go now :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online