Yamaha 81 xt250 oil leak HELP!!

nathan123
This post is 4276 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Basically, when riding my xt for more than 20-30 minutes, and especially at large dual carriageway speeds 50-55mph the engine smokes tremendously, this has been determined to be a small oil leak burning around/on the engine. The problem is... The smoke comes from around the top of the engine, near the exhaust gasket but for some reason a lot of the oil is found right at the bottom of the engine, it's hard to find the right source of the leak as it is but im 90% sure it's around the top, but could it really flow that far to the very bottom of the engine?

I need advice, help!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Nathan

More likely leajing from the cam cover as there is no gasket only gasket sealer used to seal the top,

my lads is the same but not so much of a big leak.

Hope it helps a bit.

TTB

Hi tommy, yeah that actually makes sense.. I think the rising of the steam makes it look like its coming from exhaust. Do You think I should just take it off, use a sealant, and then tightly put it back on?

Yeah I think there is actually, I'll check that out today. The main leak was from around the bottom of the engine and I found out yesterday that it was from the gear shaft so found a replacement seal for £4 on eBay, lucky! So jus need to sort this last little one out. Rather embarrassing when you whizz up to the lights and everyone's staring at you cos your engines smoking like a giant lump of charcoal!!

The other one worth checking is the oil seal around the cam adjuster cap.

TTB

• 2 weeks later...

might clean it up good, start it then blow some baby powder in the general area, that should help track it down. itll pool up on the powder.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online