n00b with a little know how...

TheBoltons
This post is 4442 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So...

I've been wanting a bike for so ridiculously long i cant even remember. When I had the money to get one, I had a wife to tell me no :(

But... I finally won the argument, and am now the owner of a '99 SR125. It needs a bit of TLC as its has been standing idle for a LONG time. So far I have cleaned it up, drained the oil, changed the brake fluid, checked brake pistons and seals, fitted a new fuel line, rewired front lighting (It originally had side spots on it but one was broken so previous owner removed them but never rewired) and thats about it.

There are a few cosmetic bits and bobs needed, and there are a few problems I am hoping to get some help with here :) .

Firstly, the clutch... previous owner told me that the clutch plates will need changing as it was only biting and the end of the lever and sometimes slipping during gear change. However, upon inspection, the cable broke into two pieces pretty much in my hand - from what I can make out, it was the rubber that was holding the cable together and therefore I am HOPING that this means the plates wont need to be touched. Any thoughts on this would be great! Also if they do still need doing - I am a complete noob, but want to do all the work myself. I have a little know how - my recent googling has assured me of that, with some people posting things in other forums like "where's the battery?" or "where does the oil go?" - I know enough to get by, but some things id rather have an experienced biker's direction incase i do something silly like pump the brake fluid out with the pads off and off the disc so the pistons pretty much pop out.... again :S

The battery is fine, it was new-ish, basically bought new then left idle for a year plus, but once i was able to fill her up and give it a good charge, it starts! It only starts with some choke, and currently cant idle without choke either, which is a little annoying as the two stage choke no longer works properly, it has to be held out, which I am told is a common problem. Am hoping that once i have run it a few times it will eventually sit idle quite happily?

Anyone who does have any spares laying around that are no longer needed, that would be great, and also if anyone has a **edit**l, id greatly appreciate it. All i could find was the Yamaha service manual.

My plan of action is to fix this up, get on the road properly with it, have a few miles out of it (its currently only done 25k) and then sell it on and buy a bigger fixer-upper, with the ultimate goal of a Harley.

Thanks for reading, and happy riding!

Matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Matt,

:welcome: you can't ask for copies/pdf's of Haynes. The internet Gestapo is tolling for these key words, hence I have taken that out.

the yam service manual is very good and should tell you everything for maintenance. Keep looking and yes, sounds just like faulty clutch cable :)

Okidokes - :sorry: !

The copy I have is the Yamaha Supplementary Service Manual - SR125 '99

It doesnt appear to go into very much detail, more a handful of knowledge on a handful of things

I did try using it to rewire the front lights, but even the exploded diagram is not clear enough.

Hence why i wondered if anyone had the other.

Your opinion on the clutch matter is good to hear - Less work for me for one, and two, I was right! go me! :hyper:

Have also been told I should strip down the carb - quite happy to do so, but is there any dos and donts? a few pointers would be appreciated.

So yes, it was just the cable, it now shifts (dare I say it) perfectly. New problem - fuel leak :-( but it was dark last night so couldnt see where it was coming from. Thinking its probably the run off from the carb, gonna check float in a bit.

Ok so I have taken the carb out, stripped, cleaned and rebuilt, but there seems to be a part missing... I know it wasnt there to start with, and woukd like someones advice on whether I need it or not - it is the little screw on the main jet, the one which closes the aperture up a little. the remains of it was still in the nozzle. Hope this explains it well enough - probably should have taken a pic.

Thanks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online