1987 Yamaha Virago xv1100

jjprit
This post is 4258 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It would appear we have got to the bottom of the problem, it would probably be a good idea for you if you could get to look at another 1100 Virago to see what should be there, I assume if it originally didn't have a petcock then there was some other way to indicate low fuel, possibly on the missing instrument panel, so may be the previous owner fitted the petcock so they knew where they were with fuel.

It would appear we have got to the bottom of the problem, it would probably be a good idea for you if you could get to look at another 1100 Virago to see what should be there, I assume if it originally didn't have a petcock then there was some other way to indicate low fuel, possibly on the missing instrument panel, so may be the previous owner fitted the petcock so they knew where they were with fuel.

I'm fairly certain that's the case. There would have been a low fuel light on the tacho (which is missing-see post 31st july)

Its not clear from the parts dwg just what should be on there. It may be that the best course of action is to modify the existing petcock. I'm guessing that its something like a couple of outlets sticking up into the tank, one higher than the other? May be as simple as cutting the higher one back to give greater range before needing to switch to res?

Yeah that's the way petcocks usually work, should be an easy mod, alternatively just remember to reset the trip odo each time you fill up, that's what I do on my Dragstar so I know that when I am approaching 120 miles I am getting close to needing to switch to reserve.