Wider rear rim FZR 1000 1988

FZR1000DK
This post is 2377 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys.

I have a little project with my old bike - Yamaha FZR 1000 from 1988. - I wont a 180/55/17 tire.

Standard rear rim is 18 x 4,5. I have bought a rim from a 3LE model which is 17 x 5,5.

Problem: Standard rear axel is 17 mm (diameter) - new is 20 mm. No bearing combinations posible.

So I am wondering, if it is posible to use a swingarm from the newer model 3LE - about 1993 - to get the

thicker rear axel. Does such a swingarm fit in the frame, and what about the chain alignment ?

Does anybody know something about this ?

Thanks

Morten

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Morton not sure about fitting a new arm on but your opening a big can of worms, steering head angel is going to change with a smaller dia. rim.

Anyway thats yours to fix But you should take a min and introyourself in the new members section it only polite to know a bit about who your talking to

Hi dt502001.

Yeah I am aware of the worms, maybe I can use them as bait to solve my problems :-)

Well lets see how it changes to better or worse - if I can get it to fit.

I have written a short intro in new members and even put a photo on my profile, so thanks for the advice.

• 5 years later...

Would be interesting to know whet you ended up doing.

What I did with mine is fit a swing arm, fork and wheels of a Suzuki Slingshot, makes it easier to fit larger wheels, can run a 190 in the rear without any issue, and extends the rear wheel a bit so can put a bit more traction to the road. Also fitted a R1 tail section.

Damn, its 5 years old. He only made 3 posts so a reply is long past coming.

• Cynic locked this topic
This post is 2377 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.