DT50MX dilemma

wvaydavey00
This post is 4451 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

Looking for some help with daughter's DT50MX - stolen and recovered tore all the dash and clocks off and twisted wires together. Bought a donor bike for bits with spare ignition and clocks. (the donor bike has points) Refitted and electrics working but no spark - it is a CDI model. Is there any way to test CDI for faults and would shorting all 4 ignition wires together cause this to burn out? :shakeno: Any help gratefully received.

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi steve shorting the wires shouldn't have caused the cdi to die, and no there is no way to test a cdi unit ....short of puting it on a running bike,, if that bike still runs then it's good.

Am I right in thinking all shorting the ignition wires together would do is run the low tension to earth as the kill switch or ignition switch does, but the live feed to the ignition would also have been shorted to the cdi wouldn't it? The main fuse blew, so that would break that circuit but could the surge running potentially backwards through the CDI not have burnt it out? If not, then should I be looking elsewhere? I do have the Haynes Manual, but seems need the bike running to test generator output and presumably low tension. I am worried about what I touch as I know CDI can be temperamental and it does not take much to blow them if wired up wrong. Anyone got a running DT or a tested CDI?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online