SRX400...It's alive, but...

SRXy
This post is 6907 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My SRX400 fires up perfectly now and idles happily until I actually ride it(maybe 1 minute)....then if I stop and let it idle it slowly decreases revs and cuts-out. If I fire it up again I have to give it a little throttle to keep it going. If I ride it a bit more (say 5mins) and stop the bike and let it idle it just cuts-out and and then it does'nt want to start. If I leave the bike for a while (10-20mins) then it fires up easily again, but if I ride it, it repeats the cycle.....

Any ideas? I have a feeling it's the carb but I'm not sure? Seeing as I had a problem with my battery recently, could it be that insufficient charge is coming from the battery???

Sometimes when the bike cut's out, nothing happens when I press the start button, unless I put the bike into neutral. Is this an override like the trying to start the bike when the kickstand is down?

:(

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Buddy

Can't tell you for definate but here's what i'd do.

Take of the carb for a good clean and check the float inside. Sometimes they get stuck and may need a clean / replacing.

Check the wiring on the start button. Do you have a kill switch? If you do it could be faulty. If it is there are two wires (red) that enter the kill switch. Take them out and just tape them together to circuit out the switch.

Get a multimeter to check the electrical output from the battery. You can pick one up cheap from £3.99 upwards. You could even use a couple of wires and a bulb to check output. I'd try to look around the rectifier / regulator for voltage input / output.

Check your points are clean and your coils inside the flywheel rotor.

Might help you!

Any ideas? I have a feeling it's the carb but I'm not sure? Seeing as I had a problem with my battery recently, could it be that insufficient charge is coming from the battery???

Sometimes when the bike cut's out, nothing happens when I press the start button, unless I put the bike into neutral. Is this an override like the trying to start the bike when the kickstand is down?

:(

Could be an issue with the clutch switch, as far as the neutral thing is concerned. ;)

Definitely should go over it with a multi-meter.....maybe while it's running.....to see what the voltages are @ the battery......a bad regulator/rectifier could be the guilty culprit. Having a good manual or @ least a wiring diagram in this instance, makes life alot easier.

I've been going through a very similar scenario lately with my XT......so I Can Relate to your dilema.

Best of Luck with it ;)

We'll the hole cutting out story seems to be sorted out. I took it in and the last guy that had worked on the bike put the petrol pipe on th wrong places on the carb!!!! So Reserve was now PRIME!!!!

My fuel consumption was ridiculous ( 3km/L, which ~= 8Miles/gallon!!!!)cos it was just dumping petrol into the carb!!! What a dumbass, now the spearkplug is stuffed and I just hoping there is'nt any permanent damage to the bearing cos the crankcase was full of petrol/iol emulsion.

I think I'm gonna try and check the battery, it seems it has retained it's charge fine though.

Thanks for the advice, I get back to you once she's home and running like she should.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank the lord my bike is running again...it's purring like a rather large kitten. went for a ride yesterday and got caught in a HEAVY downpour. had some fool slam on the breaks and turn with no warning....had to emergency break in a large puddle to avoid the car (v thin road with 2 lanes and cars in both lanes). The back wheel slid out from behind and the bike start to go into a wobble....almost lost it, but i used a bit of throttle and pulled the bike up straight and managed to get out alive....

phew...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online