Cam chain tension?

kevinneill889
This post is 4296 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all again, yet another question I will buy a manual at some point I promise.

I was wondering about the tension of my cam chain. Reason for this is I have noticed that it seems a bit noisy( the engine I mean) when I have her out a run. Now I know it could be a number of things I.e valve clearance but as I have never done this myself before I thought I would check the tension on the cam chain

I gather this does not self adjust as I can see a bolt with a lock nut on the side on the tension adjust unit so can anybody give me a run down on how to check/adjust my cam chain?

Sorry if you's lot think I'm a pain in the ass but I bought this bike with the intension on doing all my own work.

Cheers folks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry man, I've read your question, but can't offer any help.

You will need to take the head off to adjust it properly so whilst youre there you may as well check the valves as well.

Some people do it by ear but you will risk wearing out the chain guides prematurely if done too tight.

Once adjusted though it should be good for another 5000 - 10.000 miles.

You will need to take the head off to adjust it properly so whilst youre there you may as well check the valves as well.

Some people do it by ear but you will risk wearing out the chain guides prematurely if done too tight.

Once adjusted though it should be good for another 5000 - 10.000 miles.

I take it when you say you need to remove the head you mean the cam cover ?

You shouldn't need to remove the cam cover to adjust the camchain providing everything is ok but obviously you will have to to check the valve clearances.

Yeah the cam cover/rocker cover etc (i just re read it and couldnt understand why i said head :crazy: ), if its a manual tensioner youre supposed remove it and measure the slack between the cam sprockets otherwise you cant get the tension accurate, its a common thing on the r6 as well.

Like i said earlier you can adjust it and guess it by ear but id always do it properly for peace of mind.

The adjustment is set by setting the engine to the requred position using marks on the ignition rotor and crankcase under the LH engine cover. You then loosen the locknut on the tensioner and loosen the tensioner bolt. This releases the rods inside the tensioner which are under spring tension to take up any slack in the camchain. You then retighten the bolt and locknut to lock it in position. Don't think you will find there is any measuring of chain slack as the chain tension is determined by the spring/s in the tensioner body.

The R1 and R6 models use a fully automatic camchain adjuster which automaticaly sets the camchain to the required tension.

I know the r6 uses an auto tensioner but what kevin described sounded like a manual one to which again is a common thing on r6s/r1s etc as the auto ones are pretty crap and are prone to 'backing off' under heavy loads.

Does it look like either of these two?

httensioners.jpg

or

pic2.jpg

1st is a manual and 2nd the auto.

If it is the standard Yamaha one I think it will look like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-Yamaha-XJ550-XJ-550-Maxim-Timing-chain-tensioner-adjuster-/260964558820?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc2b327e4

which was fitted to quite a few inline four cylinders like the XJ550, XJ600, XJ650 and XJ750 models.

If its the one that YPVS Tone has posted up then id say its an auto one and just to leave it alone.

The picture of the one I posted which I think he has fitted to his XJ is Not automatic in that you have to set the engine to the required position, loosen the locknut and loosen the bolt which is shown in the picture. This releases the rod under the spring which pushes against the camchain slipper to take up any slack in the camchain. You then tighten the bolt and locknut to lock the rod in position.

What a stupid design? Whats the need for a spring on a manual tensioner? So in a way its 'semi auto' as it adjusts the slack itself but you have to let it do it?

Cheers guys i have now done the job and did seem as if it needed it as it does seem as if there is less noise from the engine though i do think i need my valve clearance done but not sure i want to try this as i have never touched these before on a bike.

Thanks for all the help and info though.

That okay, iv learnt a bit about your bike as well lol